PDA

View Full Version : Inspection and toilet breaks!

emmas
18-06-2017, 04:23 PM
Hi folks,

As the title suggests what do I do when I need a toilet break during inspection, I cant take little one in with me, but I cant leave him with a stranger even if it is ofsted?

Heeeelllllllllppppppppppp!

Dragonfly
18-06-2017, 07:52 PM
Jolly good point, luckily in all the years I've been childminding I haven't gone to the toilet whilst they were here.
Be interesting to see answers.

moggy
18-06-2017, 08:21 PM
Never needed to go during an inspection: I went several times before she was due and just hung on til she left!! (and didn't drink loads before either!).
It all depends on your inspector, your mindees and your house set up-
I have read of CMers telling their inspector they need the loo and inspector is happy to sit with the mindees while CMer goes.
Some take the mindees to sit outside the cloakroom door and give them a book or something and talk to them through the door, or keep door ajar.
Some mindees would freak out at bring left with an inspector, so I'd explain that to the inspector and take child with me, sit them by the door and be quick!
If loo is upstairs, you had a grumpy inspector and you had 2+ mindees I'd just keep my legs crossed!
Try not to worry too much about it!

emmas
18-06-2017, 08:57 PM
thanks all,

I think I will go for the stand mindee outside the door and go quick option!

thanks

BallyH
18-06-2017, 09:02 PM
had 4 inspection and never been. Longest inspection 4.5 hours. Try not to think about it. Plus you'll be too busy to recognise the signs of needing a wee.

FloraDora
18-06-2017, 09:14 PM
Like others, I never needed to go...I don't generally anyway, sometimes take the opportunity when LO's asleep and I can hear older ones. A lifetime of working in education trained me to go before and after school.
I am sure going to the toilet will be the last thing on your mind but if you do, just follow your normal procedure.... do what you would usually do.
Good luck.

Ripeberry
19-06-2017, 09:43 AM
My inspector was the one who needed a wee as soon as she got in, lol! :D

Mouse
19-06-2017, 11:05 AM
I must have a weaker bladder than the rest of you as I have needed to got to the toilet while an inspector was here! It's not just about going to the toilet though. It's about any time when you would go out of the room and leave mindees - answering the door to the postman, going to the kitchen and leaving children playing, going to get something you need from another room.

I have it in my safeguarding policy that children may be left alone with an Ofsted inspector. During an inspection, when I have needed to leave the room, I have told the inspector what my usual routine is, eg. sprinting to the toilet and back & leaving the bathroom door open so I can still hear the children. I also explain that I wouldn't leave the children with someone who wasn't vetted, but that I am happy to leave them with an inspector who is. Before I leave the room I do ask if the inspector is OK with that and I've never had any of them question it.

Lal
19-06-2017, 11:58 AM
I had 3 children present during my inspection- my own school age daughter, a 4 year old and 2 year old. Went to the loo (upstairs) at the same time as going up to change the 2 year old's nappy. I took the 2 year old with me up stairs, closing the the top stiargate (my all the doors on the landing can be hooked to prevent mindee access) , left the 4 & 6 year old happily engaged in play in the living room (the stairs are off the living room) and suggested the inspector could either go outside or sit part way up the stairs. She was happy with that arrangement. I made it clear that I was following my policy and that a different combination of children would require a different approach- I emaphasised that I was happy the 4 & 6 year old were happily engaged in what they were doing.

Be confident in your inspection- its your setting and don't be afraid to enforce your policies. Ask the insector to leave the room or go outside if it is the best option.