PDA

View Full Version : Food Hygiene inspection

FloraDora
15-05-2017, 12:29 PM
My local environmental health officer has just left the building.

It looks like I have maintained my 5 standard as she has written ' very high standards maintained', but I won't know until she posts the certificate. So I thought I would outline the visit again.
She sat down at the table straight away and said "let's look at any paperwork you have" then went through her checklist. She read all my action notes and three monthly reviews in the Safer Food better business for childminders booklet.

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/sfbb-childminders-pack.pdf

She discussed my notes, I have a child with a whey allergy and a brand new fridge freezer that has a fluctuating temperature at the bottom and top of the fridge . But because I know about it and record and comment about my adjustments she says that shows I am pro active which is what they want to see, awareness of food hygiene principles and consequences.
I showed her my online paperwork, temperatures, menu's and what the child actually ate in the info bit of diaries. We provide all food, none are sent by parents, so we discussed the value of recording what child ate, receipts of food purchases and buying from reputable firms, she wrote down where I buy food from, in case they become ill, show signs of allergy. I know the source of food ingredients, it is traceable via receipts. A previous inspector had suggested I jot down date and what I bought from the butcher as he doesn't give receipts so I do that on paper kept in my receipts box.

She asked about the way I clean, we clean wth a cloth, then antibacterial spray and use a paper towel. I only use my cleaning cloth once though then pop in washing machine. This was fine. I have different dishcloths to surface cloths, I keep white tea towels, white single use towels and DH has white aprons and we just use these on CHM days then do a 90 degree wash. My nice colourful tea towels are used the rest of the week. ( I only work 3 days).
She asked about veg prep, we had already discussed my veg garden, we do all veg prep in our utility sink, which actually is just through an arch in the kitchen, I don't have a completely separate utility...it looks like two sinks in the kitchen and most people with a similar house has got rid of it, but it's good for cleaning the veg( and rugby and football boots) so we have kept it. She liked that we washed in this sink because of the dreaded soil contamination. ( I do it because I don't like the mess in the kitchen).
She asked about ages of children and hand washing - happy with downstairs cloakroom and single use towels ( checked temp I washed on). I have a series of hand washing photos stuck on the door posed by a 4 year old that shows how to wash your hands properly, she commented positively on these which show the full process of rubbing backs of hands and in between fingers.
She checked fridge for no out of date things and where we keep food in there.
We talked a little about allergy and how I adjusted for it. She didn't check any other cupboards.
Then it was all over.
Hope this helps.
Not sure what to do now...I hadn't planned beyond her visit today!

sarah707
15-05-2017, 06:03 PM
brilliant feedback thank you!!

it always seems strange to me that some colleagues have really intense inspections and others have absolutely nothing :rolleyes:

Well done you :D

Maza
15-05-2017, 06:48 PM
That's really useful, thank you. How long was she with you?

FloraDora
15-05-2017, 07:14 PM
That's really useful, thank you. How long was she with you?
About 45 minutes, it felt like 15.

watford wizz
15-05-2017, 07:24 PM
Thank you for sharing very timely, just completed my level 2 food safety get results in 6/8weeks.

BallyH
15-05-2017, 08:33 PM
A very detailed account. Thank you for taking the time to post.