PDA

View Full Version : one more senstive situation-to cancel a new place

Mind12
12-05-2017, 05:23 PM
I have recently met a parent, she confirmed to send her baby to me, going through settling sessions. I know after all discussions and exitement to start her work from next week, its so awful to ask to find another child minder. but due to some very genuine reasons, im planning to quit this so dont want to take on new one anymore. how to handle this and am afraid of what she has to go through I know but I have to do this as earlier as possible. Because if i start to mind him and then i say im quitting it wont look good on my part too

sarah707
12-05-2017, 08:56 PM
If you cannot offer the child continuity of care then you need to let the parent know as soon as possible so she can settle her child elsewhere.

I hope that helps :D

hectors house
13-05-2017, 09:55 AM
I had a situation years ago (when it was Social Services and not Ofsted and continuity of care for siblings hadn't been invented), I was looking after a teachers child and she recommended me to another teacher who was pregnant, the mum came to visit and I agreed that I would take on the child when born (back in the days when maternity leave was 11 weeks paid), then the teacher mum I was already contracted with announced that she was trying for another baby - I knew I would be over my numbers if I took on her friends baby so made the decision to go to visit the friend and blame it on my health issues (I was struggling with IBS due to food allergies at the time, but had to make it sound as if I really couldn't manage) as I couldn't say her friend was trying for a baby. I did find her another childminder but I don't think she ever forgave me - the funny thing was my daughter went out with her son when she was 16 and he was 18 - glad they didn't get married and have kids!

Luckily the existing teacher got pregnant quickly so I didn't have an empty space for too long.

Mind 12 - are you giving up childminding immediately or have you got to give notice to existing children? I think I would be honest with the new mum and say you find yourself in this situation and that you don't want to mess her around - I would try to find alternative care but if you are giving a month (or more) notice to other children maybe you could take the new baby on so mum can at least go back to work while she is looking for an alternative.

mama2three
13-05-2017, 10:45 AM
Im not sure why you dont want to take on the baby. If its because of the situation youve been put in by your existing mindees parents then i would give notice to them and take the baby on !

loocyloo
13-05-2017, 11:07 AM
Im not sure why you dont want to take on the baby. If its because of the situation youve been put in by your existing mindees parents then i would give notice to them and take the baby on !

That is what I was thinking x