PDA

View Full Version : Really need some expert childminder's advise here

Mind12
12-05-2017, 05:14 PM
Im new to this forum, I should've joined long before. Now after hearing from friends, its high time to share,.
I really have some problems but trying best to put it simpler way.

I have been childminding from over 8years and untill past year I had excellent times and the parents I used to work with are also very supportive and understanding. It went on fully professional and smooth but just the recent times I started working with two new parents. Its so new experience as its a bad luck I should say as well. I understand every parent has a concern but not to an extent its tortured to me.

These parents im working with are most complicated of all as they literally like scanning their kids everyday while picking and dropping, i had several challenges as everyday they sit with kids to settle and make them cry, I had to deal with it very sensitively.

Now recently my own 5year old had thrown little tantrum on the 2yr kid am minding, but to my badluck my kid did this infront of her parents, they are already too sensitive, point out on every simple thing, its about my kid's crayons they has a small giving out with each other but 2yr old's parents took it too seriously, i felt so bad the way they are disappointed with it. It is the first incident even i encountered like this.

Im going to have a new baby joining our care and these parents asking me too much i felt, its really annoying to deal it so sensitively at same time. I feel like telling the baby parent to find other childminder because of them.

sarah707
12-05-2017, 08:58 PM
It's hard when there is unpleasantness because we are on our own dealing with it. it's usually best to allow some distance - give it the weekend - then think about what you want to do next. A rushed decision is never normally helpful x

Kiddleywinks
13-05-2017, 07:51 AM
Trust between parents and providers is the biggest issue/hurdle I think
Parents have to feel they can trust their provider and if the provider is made to feel they aren't trusted this can create too many issues and restrictions on what the provider can do comfortably.
Simple things like playing outside or at the park, where there are distinct possibilities of a young child falling over, become a nightmare to manage.

I agree with Sarah, you need to sleep on it, and then decide whether it's worth sitting the parent down and having a very frank but reassuring chat about how things are to move forward - quick drop off's and collections for one as it's unsettling the child and the setting (kids play up when they have an audience lol), or whether you're the right provider for them.

There has to be a balance between your work life and your home life, and if you're spending your home life worrying about your work life, something needs to change.

hectors house
13-05-2017, 10:05 AM
I've just replied to your other post - I've read them in the wrong order.

I think you should take on the new baby and give notice to the picky parents - stand up to them, say it would be easier if they left quicker in the morning as their children settle down as soon as they have gone and that children do play to an audience, playing one adult off against the other, say that if they aren't happy with the way you do things then maybe it's best if they look for care elsewhere - maybe they just need a short sharp reality check to make them appreciate all the good things they have - some parents do just try to put you down, it's because they feel guilty that they are going out to work.

There are really lovely parents out there, but you know that because you have had them in the past, don't let these picky parents make you doubt your confidence and ability, take on the new baby and the new parents. :thumbsup: