PDA

View Full Version : Is it always this slow???

fishbones1
11-08-2008, 10:31 AM
I know I have only been registered since end of June but I have only had one enquiry. There is only 2 childminders in my area, I thought I would have a fair few enquiries at least.

Just getting concerned is it usually this slow in the beginning??? I really don't want to start looking for a job, I came into childminding to be able to bring my daughter up myself but if things don't pick up soon I will seriously need to think about what to do.

I need some luck sent my way!!!! Please

devoncm
11-08-2008, 10:38 AM
Im sorry its going slow for you-it is for me too at mo and ive been doing it a yr. I think in the beginning its harder as people dont know who you are, get out and about and tell everyone,ive got a t shirt i wear if im out with a child even if its just my own.make leaflets up and post everywhere, through everyones letterboxes, you never know who may be looking.

good luck i hope you get calls soon.

sarah707
11-08-2008, 11:05 AM
Like devoncm says, you need to be really proactive.

Ring CIS every week and tell them your vacancies... they will pop you to the top of the listing.

Also make sure your advert with them reads well...

Then get out and about and tell people who you are and what you are doing... nothing gained by being shy :D

Bushpig
11-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Yes, you need to get out there so people know who you are and what service you offer. You might be standing next to a mummy needing childcare at the checkout at Tescos :) If you cannot get a shirt made, get a childminding badge... or a bag or something that is mobile advertising for yourself.

katickles
11-08-2008, 11:23 AM
I agree with the others -go advertising crazy!!

I have this last couple of weeks been in-undated with calls, but all for imidiate vacancies & September starts, so don't worry people do leave it to the last min before thinking about childcare, :rolleyes:

As long as your names out there - you will get the calls, so anywhere at all possible get your name known.

Good luck, I'm sure those calls are on the way x

fishbones1
11-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Thanks all, I am currently advertising everywhere I can think of. I did a leaflet drop this morning will do rest of neighbour hood another day, too long for my daughter to cope with!!!(biscuits run out!!!!)

Pudding Girl
11-08-2008, 04:23 PM
I got my reg through beginning Dec 07 - had no calls till end of feb 2008 and started first mindees in March, took til 19th June to get my next one started.

It can be slow yes but then you get rushes on with enqs coming out of your ears! It's pretty much normal I think from what I read on here from others. Not much use when you are gagging to get going though I know!

2kidsunder5
11-08-2008, 04:33 PM
I agree it can be slow at first, I reg in Sept 06 and got firt mindee March 07 then no one else came along until Sept 07 - Now I am FULL!!!!

Advertise everywhere you can. I left leaflets in the local chemists and hairdressers etc. I also advertised on the school news letter and left leaflets in the school nursery reception area (I appreciate you can't do that till they go back).

It's all about getting you name out there.

Good luck and I am sur ethe phone will ring soon :)

Diane xx

bubbly
11-08-2008, 07:58 PM
It's been incredibly slow for me too. I'll be down to one mindee in Sept and have only ever had two mindees since beginning minding last Dec. I never thought it'd be this bad, despite advertising everywhere. I'm hoping to give up minding once my house sells (which in the current climate isn't likely to be any time soon), relocate and start something completely new. Anyone need a new house? :laughing:

LisaH
11-08-2008, 08:09 PM
It took me a few months to get going too but am full now and have been for sometime.
Loads of great advice already given so all I can say is don't lose heart, hang on in there the work will come.:)