PDA

View Full Version : Mum's coming to town!

Bushpig
11-08-2008, 10:17 AM
One of my parents told me her mum's coming to stay for 6 weeks, and told her she could save on 6 weeks worth of childcare costs as she'll look after her grand-daughter (11 months) for the 6 weeks! :eek:

The mother mentioned this to me, saying she doesn't want to lose her place with me though, just asked whether I was open to the idea... of course I said I couldn't do that... I also let her know later in the conversation I have a couple kids on my waiting list... which is true.

Hmmm.. I feel bad as nana is available and keen, but then I am running a business. I hope I don't get daggers from the nana either when she comes to collect her etc too. Like I am taking her time away from her granddaughter.

Minstrel
11-08-2008, 10:22 AM
Colud she not just take some hol.?
still pay you as per the contract but if time with nana is that important its an option.

LittleAcorns
11-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Good for you, you are running a business after all, I allow up to 4 weeks parents holiday in one year, do you charge a retainer for thir hols?? if so I suppose she could have that but pay 2 full weeks BUT then I dont think Id accomodate 4 straight weeks at half fee lol just ignore me, Im typing as I think lol

dont feel bad you have bills to pay and at the rate they're going up you cant afford to let parents off xx

fishbones1
11-08-2008, 10:24 AM
well done for not giving in to this pressure. to right its your business and could stand to lose a lot if people did this to us all the time!!

If it was organised with a bit of time in advance I may have offered a comprimise at a lower rate but this is down to you.

Bushpig
11-08-2008, 10:24 AM
She is welcome to leave her at home with nana but she will still be paying me full fees should she do this as per her contract. It's up to her I guess. She is one of my biggest contracts and I cannot really afford to give her a lesser rate, hubby would kill me!;)

tulip0803
11-08-2008, 10:26 AM
I agree with you. There is no way I would do that for no fee. I may have done it for half fee but my policies and contracts state full fee for all contracted hours whether the child attends the setting or not. It would have depended on whether my income could stand it. Six weeks is a long time to hold a place for nothing:mad:

angeldelight
Its not your problem is it?

If she does not take up the childcare place then of course she pays you full fees

Good luck and well done for not giving in

Angel xxx

mum22
Can Nan not just drop of a little later and collect earlier (obv they still pay) but Nan still gets quality time but does not end up too exhausted and still has a little time to herself in the day?

Bushpig
11-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Can Nan not just drop of a little later and collect earlier (obv they still pay) but Nan still gets quality time but does not end up too exhausted and still has a little time to herself in the day?

I think the stance I will take is to not get involved in how they manage their time with the little one during the stay. As long as I am paid my fee and she does not stay outside of her contracted hours (8am to 6pm). I will be very flexible with nana should she want to collect her early. She will want to spend time with the granddaughter she hardly sees! (lives in another country).

Bushpig
11-08-2008, 10:53 AM
I will also tell nana she is more than welcome to join us for visits to the local park and common... not every day though :eek: but a few times during her stay.

Minstrel
11-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Just be careful if you do that. guidelines may have to be set down first ie WHO IS IN CHARGE?????

Bushpig
13-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Just be careful if you do that. guidelines may have to be set down first ie WHO IS IN CHARGE?????

Hmmm very good idea!!! I might have to rethink my offer ;)

miffy
13-08-2008, 09:40 PM
I will also tell nana she is more than welcome to join us for visits to the local park and common... not every day though :eek: but a few times during her stay.

Not sure I'd do that - could cause some conflict.

Think I'd stick with making it clear that you don't mind if the child spends time with grandma during her stay as long as you are paid :)

Miffy xx

Bushpig
13-08-2008, 09:41 PM
Not sure I'd do that - could cause some conflict.

Think I'd stick with making it clear that you don't mind if the child spends time with grandma during her stay as long as you are paid :)

Miffy xx

Yes I don't think I'll make the offer that she can come with us anymore... have given it some though :eek:

charleyfarley
13-08-2008, 11:09 PM

I had this problem last week

Mindee kept coming to me for things instead of his mom, I wasn't in charge mindee and mom came on day out with us.

Good luck with this but you should still get paid if they don't come

Carol xx

Bushpig
13-08-2008, 11:12 PM
I had this problem last week

Mindee kept coming to me for things instead of his mom, I wasn't in charge mindee and mom came on day out with us.

Good luck with this but you should still get paid if they don't come

Carol xx

Oh I will get paid, thank you!

Chatterbox Childcare
13-08-2008, 11:47 PM
Nan just probably wants some time.

Why not suggest that you could drop mindee off a little earlier and then they could have time and so would you

Debbie

Chimps Childminding
14-08-2008, 06:50 AM
I agree with everyone else - if Nana wants to spend time with lo, then thats great as long as they realise you still need paying! I would have thought if she wasn't used to it she might find it quite tiring every day for 6 weeks - if she lives out of the country, how come the mum hasn't had time off while she is here :huh: Perhaps nana could do alternate days or afternoons?

Bushpig
14-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Yip, as I mentioned, I'll leave this up to them to organise, I am flexible and will work around their time needs, nana will want to spend time with her grandchild, goes without say.