PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Need advice

Elvisola
04-05-2017, 08:46 AM
I'm going out of my mind with this and so stressed! I need some advice from anyone who may have been through this?

Last Friday a little girl in my care fell awarkwardly and after s cuddle etc I realised she couldn't weight bear. I called her mum straight away who picked her up and on my advice took her to A&E. After x rays it was found she had a fractured tibia. The child also has excema and scratches a lot, when the dr saw that there were other marks on her body they questioned her parents (the scratches are constant and she has prescribed cream) and have referred it onto the safeguarding team.

Parents bought the child back into my care on the Tuesday and there are no concerns from therm over my care or that the accident was an accident. However child protection called parents yesterday and asked them for s statement over the phone and told mum they would be in contact with me also. I haven't heard anything yet.

The dad has said there have been lots of rumbles from the dr and child protection that the childminder (me) will now be looked at and there will be repercussions for me? What does that mean?

I have written a letter to Ofsted with details in line with their notification of a serious injury within 14 days policy and informed my insurance company. I have a signed accident form. I will call Ofsted today as well just in case they hear about it from the safeguarding team first now but I think I have covered everything.

Will this result in an unannounced inspection or suspension or something. I feel like giving up childminding now, I have never felt so vulnerable and I don't know where to turn to for advice

FussyElmo
04-05-2017, 11:20 AM
Have you informed your safeguarding team of the accident it is a requirement of the EYFS?

Also in future i would either call or email Ofsted of any incidents like this as you can keep a paper trail of what has happened and who you spoke to. A letter can go missing quite easily.

The parents have no issues with you as the child has come back into your care. However due to the other marks a safeguarding concern has been raised so you must be prepared for ofsted to be contacting you either by letter, email or a visit from compliance.

Im assuming you have the accident report and the care plan for the on going eczema.

But at all times please remember i know that its very stressful that it was an accident and they do happen to the best of us.

I hope you get a speedy response and the matter is resolved very quickly x

Elvisola
04-05-2017, 11:38 AM
Thanks for replying. Yes safeguarding have been informed. I also called Ofsted this morning and have told them what happened over the phone, I feel better now that's done and more in control. They have emailed me with a reference number. There have never been any complaints/concerns raised since I started childminding over ten years ago and the parents are not raising a complaint so from that point of view there should be no additional concern.

There is a care plan in place for her excema, she has prescribed creams which I have permission to use and they are recorded each time I do. Together the parents and I have put together a care plan for her care now whilst she is in a cast and I have written some risk assessments and reviewed whether any other risk assessments should be amended. I told Ofsted all of this.

I'm not bothered if I get an unannounced visit, there's nothing to hide, I'm just overwhelmed by the escalation and making sure I'm covered.

FussyElmo
04-05-2017, 11:53 AM
Thanks for replying. Yes safeguarding have been informed. I also called Ofsted this morning and have told them what happened over the phone, I feel better now that's done and more in control. They have emailed me with a reference number. There have never been any complaints/concerns raised since I started childminding over ten years ago and the parents are not raising a complaint so from that point of view there should be no additional concern.

There is a care plan in place for her excema, she has prescribed creams which I have permission to use and they are recorded each time I do. Together the parents and I have put together a care plan for her care now whilst she is in a cast and I have written some risk assessments and reviewed whether any other risk assessments should be amended. I told Ofsted all of this.

I'm not bothered if I get an unannounced visit, there's nothing to hide, I'm just overwhelmed by the escalation and making sure I'm covered.

As long as you have informed everyone and all the paperwork is up to date then you shouldn't have much to worry about. Unfortunately the hospital saw other marks and had to follow their safeguarding procedure too

Dragonfly
04-05-2017, 12:11 PM
You poor women. Accidents happen and it just shows how vulnerable we are.im sure you have nothing to worry about.

Fussyelmo why would she need a care plan for ezcema assuming she doesn't treat it with anything?

FussyElmo
04-05-2017, 12:35 PM
You poor women. Accidents happen and it just shows how vulnerable we are.im sure you have nothing to worry about.

Fussyelmo why would she need a care plan for ezcema assuming she doesn't treat it with anything?

Because there are prescribed creams and the child scratches a lot. Personally I would write a care plan as eczema can be very painful/distressing for a child if they suffer constantly.

BallyH
04-05-2017, 12:46 PM
It's a doctor's duty to be suspicious. The dad may have just have made that comment because they also will be concerned as their parenting skills are under scrutiny. You may find the child protection team contact you for a comment to see if you have got any concerns about the child. This happened to a childminding friend of mine. As she had no concerns what so ever nothing else happened. Hopefully this will be what happens to you.
Best of luck. And yes we are venerable. Do you also have a policy 'What to do if an allegation is made against you/family'?.