PDA

View Full Version : Toilet use

Jo1502
03-05-2017, 06:24 PM
Hi,

Wondering if you could please help, apologies if this is in the wrong place!

I'm looking at the logistics of toilets etc, and what help is going to be needed. I'll have a potty and I have a downstairs loo which i'll have a step for so that they can get up and down but is there anything else I should be thinking of or anything that i've missed off?

I'm assuming when it comes to hygiene/wiping then it does all depend on the child and what they do at home or their routines etc.

Thank you!

moggy
03-05-2017, 06:35 PM
All depends on each child- some like a toddler seat, some don't; some will only use their own pink princess potty from home; some learn to wipe by themselves quickly, some need help for a long time; some learn to tear off 1 or 2 pieces of loo roll and others will turn your bathroom into a sea of loo roll from wall to wall (and block the loo with it too).
Hand washing- you need to think about reducing chance of cross contamination (threadworm etc) so disposable paper towels, or use-once-and-wash little towels, or individual named/coloured towels. Doesn't matter how you do it as long as you are confident it works in your setting.

FloraDora
03-05-2017, 06:47 PM
I have this in my downstairs toilet.

Family Soft Close Toilet Seat - Perfect for Potty Training Child/Toddler (805-15): Amazon.co.uk: Kitchen & Home (https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Toilet-Seats/Family-Soft-Close-Toilet-Seat-Perfect-Training/B00KHR85OY/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1493836953&sr=8-7&keywords=toddler+toilet+seat)

The children use the little seat if they want to, much easier than popping on and off a toddler seat and having to store the seat in the downstairs toilet too.
The little seat comes off and so when I am not childminding I click it off and it's a normal seat.

I do tend to instil my routine as regards,using toilet paper, bottom wipes and hand washing, they all do the same routine whilst here.

bunyip
04-05-2017, 05:58 AM
I have a similar seat to the one Flora Dora mentions.

It's good practice to support the same routine as home, but you have to balance this with what's practical. Frinstance, I usually let mums bring their potty from home if necessary, but once had to draw a line when three of them were doing so, including two that were designed like mini armchairs. We do all need room in the bathroom and I won't store spare potties anywhere else.

Make sure your consents cover the need for you to do the wiping, or to 'check and finish off.' That should avoid the excessive use of paper and prevent the room suffering poomaggedon, as well as uncomfortable children. I've lost count of the number times I've been told "they can see to themselves" only to find they really can't.