PDA

View Full Version : present ideas for 6 & 8 yr old boys!

loocyloo
25-04-2017, 07:08 AM
good morning.

I have 2 new boys starting afterschool this week, who both have a birthday in a fortnight! I want to get them something, but as yet I don't really know them, and as they have moved area/house/school this holidays, they are a bit negative about everything! they came to visit with mum and barely spoke. I know it will get better, I'm not concerned about that, but I do want to get them each a birthday present they will like and I'm really stuck for ideas ! ( Their all about me forms only tell me that they are unhappy about the move :( )

I'm looking at spending around £5 each.

thank you :D

FloraDora
25-04-2017, 09:17 AM
This is always my dilemma, I always want to give a present that has a positive impact, showing that I know the child quite well, educational etc.. but don't want to spend too much. Last year I gave a 'magazine ' ( comic) and favourite chocs to a child ( abandoning all healthy eating policies) as this is what he had said he never has. I checked with mum beforehand about the terribly bad for you chocolate gift. He loved it, the comic was read to,death, the free toy played with...short term happiness. I overheard another child later saying that "xxx gives you a magazine for your birthday, I hope she gets mine craft "... so for the older child this has now become an expected gift. For some children a comic is a real luxury and much more interesting than a book, though books are still my favourite gift to receive from someone.

loocyloo
25-04-2017, 09:35 AM
This is always my dilemma, I always want to give a present that has a positive impact, showing that I know the child quite well, educational etc.. but don't want to spend too much. Last year I gave a 'magazine ' ( comic) and favourite chocs to a child ( abandoning all healthy eating policies) as this is what he had said he never has. I checked with mum beforehand about the terribly bad for you chocolate gift. He loved it, the comic was read to,death, the free toy played with...short term happiness. I overheard another child later saying that "xxx gives you a magazine for your birthday, I hope she gets mine craft "... so for the older child this has now become an expected gift. For some children a comic is a real luxury and much more interesting than a book, though books are still my favourite gift to receive from someone.

Thank you ... that is an excellent idea to give a magazine/ comic! I will head conversation that way over tea this week! (And sound mum out on the sweets front!)

BallyH
25-04-2017, 09:45 AM

This is a good idea. As a child I always got comics so wouldn't have thought to buy for mindees but as you said I never see them with comics now, books yes and tablets whenever I bump into the whilst out n about. I may have to save this idea. Good thread. Good idea!

loocyloo
25-04-2017, 05:43 PM
good morning.

I have 2 new boys starting afterschool this week, who both have a birthday in a fortnight! I want to get them something, but as yet I don't really know them, and as they have moved area/house/school this holidays, they are a bit negative about everything! they came to visit with mum and barely spoke. I know it will get better, I'm not concerned about that, but I do want to get them each a birthday present they will like and I'm really stuck for ideas ! ( Their all about me forms only tell me that they are unhappy about the move :( )

I'm looking at spending around £5 each.

thank you :D

We've had a good evening and the boys were happy and enjoyed themselves.
I'm going to look at craft and/or football magazines. X