PDA

View Full Version : Learning colours

mumofone
24-04-2017, 09:19 PM
Sorry im sure this has been done before but is colour recognition and learning about colour names, identifying colours correctly not seen as important or relevant in child development as its not mentioned in EYO or DM? Was it previously and whats changed anyone know? x

bunyip
25-04-2017, 06:16 AM
You're right: it's a curious omission from EYO/DM.

I view it as language (categorising and naming) and as arts and design. The latter mentions mixing colours, so you'd think the lo's would need to know what colours they are mixing.

It seems such a basic piece of learning, I think we should all ask our next inspector why the omniscient DofE "forgot" to include it in the list of developmental essentials. :D

sarah707
25-04-2017, 07:18 PM
This is one of the reasons why eyo is not very good as a child development list!!

It's a 'best fit' guide - there are lots of bits missing - there are lots of anomalies - there aren't any 'red flags' or signs of concern.

We must use it alongside our knowledge of child development and what is 'typical' for each age range and at about 3 children will start to enjoy learning their colours and shapes :D

mumofone
29-04-2017, 09:14 PM
You're right: it's a curious omission from EYO/DM.

I view it as language (categorising and naming) and as arts and design. The latter mentions mixing colours, so you'd think the lo's would need to know what colours they are mixing.

It seems such a basic piece of learning, I think we should all ask our next inspector why the omniscient DofE "forgot" to include it in the list of developmental essentials. :D

lol! its so strange, i wonder why it doesn't get a proper mention

mumofone
29-04-2017, 09:14 PM
This is one of the reasons why eyo is not very good as a child development list!!

It's a 'best fit' guide - there are lots of bits missing - there are lots of anomalies - there aren't any 'red flags' or signs of concern.

We must use it alongside our knowledge of child development and what is 'typical' for each age range and at about 3 children will start to enjoy learning their colours and shapes :D

thanks sarah, seems such a flawed document but hey ho!