PDA

View Full Version : Emergency Care

Bushpig
11-08-2008, 09:18 AM
I have never had anyone call me for emergency care before and have just had a call for four hours tomorrow morning. I can help as that vacancy is only being taken up in October.

What should I get her to sign before she goes (7:30am)? I have never met her before and she's just dropping her child off... a little nervous I have to say! :eek:

Contact details
Doctors details
Sign an indemnity form? Or show her my indemnity form... but then she isn't on contract... so would this cover her child?

devoncm
11-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Sorry i dont know but didnt want to read and run, good luck for when she comes.

can i ask what is indemnity form?(i put it down to having a slow morning:blush: )

butterfly
11-08-2008, 09:36 AM
i'm insured by ncma so i wanted the parent to sign contract and child information form and also sign the relevant permission forms... however... when the dad arrived even though i'd already mentioned that he would need to do paper work he was in a huge rush and only filled out the child info form!

i felt nervous for the entire 4 hours because i didn't have the proper paper work!

Bushpig
11-08-2008, 10:22 AM
i'm insured by ncma so i wanted the parent to sign contract and child information form and also sign the relevant permission forms... however... when the dad arrived even though i'd already mentioned that he would need to do paper work he was in a huge rush and only filled out the child info form!

i felt nervous for the entire 4 hours because i didn't have the proper paper work!

Thanks, yes I am with NCMA too. Am nervous in that I hope the child will be ok with me... the other 3 in my care are dears so that's good... no babies tomorrow either, so can devote loads of attention to the emergency care child, whilst the others do their activities.

I have asked for payment in cash too...don't trust strangers for a cheque.. bad of me? :p

butterfly
11-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Thanks, yes I am with NCMA too. Am nervous in that I hope the child will be ok with me... the other 3 in my care are dears so that's good... no babies tomorrow either, so can devote loads of attention to the emergency care child, whilst the others do their activities.

I have asked for payment in cash too...don't trust strangers for a cheque.. bad of me? :p

absolutely not! i asked for cash up front for as many hours as they thought they would need

DonnaE
11-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I had a similar situation a couple of months ago - just had the child for 6 hours and I got the parents to sign a short-term contract - I know its only 6 hours but its better to be safe than sorry - try to get as much info as possible. Do you have the parents phone number - perhaps ring them tonight and find out about allergies and favourite food (if you are providing it), emergency contact numbers, their mobile etc

susi513
11-08-2008, 03:35 PM
I've always got them to fill in all the usual permission forms just the same as if they were staying long-term. Where possible I've dropped/posted them in advance so they can fill them in and bring on or before the day, otherwise I get them to come in and complete them when they drop off the child. Which is a complete pia as they often don't know their mobile/work numbers or phone/addresses of emergency contacts.

If they're not having a long-term contract (for which I require a months deposit) they pay a registration fee of £20 to enrole, which is a contribution to all the admin & paperwork. Also includes a "free" first session of 2 hours and any free stuff I might have handy (currently some road safety pencils & stickers I was given by the council).

They will then get a welcome pack, including booking forms, which they can submit with their payment if they want to book again in the future. When mindees leave me, I'm going to give them a free membership - several parents have been pleased to be offered the chance to come back for odd days.

Bushpig
11-08-2008, 05:11 PM
Hi everyone, thanks for the fab feedback!

I have chatted to the mum again and she needs more hours tomorrow, which is fine. But what's amazing, is that she is letting her mother bring the little girl, she has never met me and is now letting me look after her daughter!? :eek:

I have asked her for a long list of info I need in the am... she has assured me her mum will bring them with her.

LisaH
11-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Have never done emergency care before but sounds like you have got the important part sorted.

good luck hope your day goes ok:)

miffy
11-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Just wanted to wish you good luck for tomorrow

Miffy xx

Gherkin
11-08-2008, 09:34 PM
I am with NCMA so I use the NCMA short term contract, the child record form, and give them a tick sheet to sign for policies/procedures/permissions.

Bushpig
12-08-2008, 07:40 AM
She is here, a sweetie... smiling and happy and running about... what an easy child! :laughing: Gosh, with strangers in a strange home... am amazed she is so comfortable. Got lots of indoor activities planned, creative and musical.

angeldelight
12-08-2008, 08:02 AM
Have fun

Angel xx