PDA

View Full Version : Tax free childcare question

Mouse
30-03-2017, 03:54 PM
I know (or think I know) that parents will either be able to use tax free childcare or employer vouchers (if they're available), but not both.

What I want to know is, does that apply per person or per family? Could one parent use tax free childcare and the other employer vouchers?

sarah707
30-03-2017, 08:40 PM
Anyone registered with vouchers can continue with them for now... until they are phased out.

the rules for tax free childcare talk about 'eligible families' which says to me both parents - Tax-Free Childcare: 10 things parents should know - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/news/tax-free-childcare-10-things-parents-should-know).

It's very complicated ... is that what you mean? :D

Mouse
30-03-2017, 09:35 PM
It certainly is complicated!

I understand that childcare vouchers are per parent and tax free childcare is per child, so I assumed a family couldn't do both, but couldn't seem to find a definite answer anywhere.

Than add in the 30 hours "free" childcare and what you can and can't claim for...

I've got a feeling there are going to be a lot of mistakes made when everything gets started.

sarah707
01-04-2017, 06:41 PM
There are online calculators ...

I think what isn't being explained well enough is the link between tax free childcare and loss of other benefits - that will catch a lot of people out :(