PDA

View Full Version : Communication and ECAT

mumofone
26-03-2017, 06:26 PM
Hi, can anyone tell me exactly what ECAT is, is it still used or is it a historic thing? Should we ever reference it? With communication do we just refer to EYO or are there any other recommended pieces of guidance everyone follows? Thank you!

moggy
26-03-2017, 07:14 PM
It is part of Gov's National Strategies a good few years back. I haven't seen anything new with that name but the previous publications are all very good and always relevant.
EYO/DM etc are not very specific on speech and language, so I find it useful to refer to something like this. These are also excellent:
The Communication Trust - Universally Speaking (https://www.thecommunicationtrust.org.uk/resources/resources/resources-for-practitioners/universally-speaking.aspx)

sarah707
26-03-2017, 08:41 PM
I use ecat if i have a concern about a child's speech and language development ... I find it a useful addition to Early Years Outcomes although most is the same or very similar it complements nicely especially giving information about speech sounds :D

hectors house
27-03-2017, 08:38 AM
I have just referred a child for Speech & Language Therapy and on the referral form it asked for a completed ECAT form, so yes they are still being used. I highlighted the 2nd page which is Speech Sounds as the child is perfectly on track with the rest of her Communication & Language development, still waiting to hear back.

teacake2
28-03-2017, 01:10 PM
I had forgotten about that, my Granddaughter is still waiting to see a speech therapist was referred in November last year, I will look everything up and see if it will help her. She can talk if she wants to but can't seem to get some of the words out, she understands everything, can follow instructions, has known all of her colours and can say them for a year now but struggles actually saying the words, so really need some ideas how to help her.
Teacake2