PDA

View Full Version : Advice on hand foot and mouth disease?

Kt&tj
21-03-2017, 08:39 PM
Hello I'm new on here and just after some advice please?
One of the children I look after became unwell on Saturday mum took her to the hospital for advice they said inpetigo and prescribed an antibiotic cream and told her at least 48 hours and said it was up to me and my policies whether I care for her after that (none of this was previously passed onto me until today) mum took her to the doctors again yesterday who then said it had cleared and looked like a dribble rash. And that's all mum told me it was a dribble rash when she arrived this morning I could see straight away it wasn't and asked mum if possible to get another opinion and we went to the pharmacy together (this is where she told me it was impetigo and she was on antibiotics cream) and they said impetigo or could b something else but didn't advise being around other children for 5-7 days. Mum took her home and got another doctors appointment who has now said hand foot and mouth disease. I have advised her staying at home for 5-7 days until she is well as she has a temp which I didnt get told about either. Mum feels she should be with me rather than at home am I right saying no?

moggy
24-03-2017, 01:45 PM
HF&M is very contagious- I know an adult who caught it from a LO and it was really nasty.
NHS page:
Access Denied (https://beta.nhs.uk/conditions/hand-foot-and-mouth-disease?WT.mc_id=organic_split)
Stay home until feeling fit and well.

FloraDora
24-03-2017, 02:23 PM
My policy states I follow this guidance:
Infection control in schools - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/infection-control-in-schools-poster)
It was produced in 2010 with updates in 2014.

Impetigo : 48 hours a way from setting to enable antibiotics to kick in. It looks like that has already been breached.
Hand foot and mouth - No time away from setting. (Advice given by pharmacist is conflicting.)

I am always vigilant on good hygiene, no towels or bedding shared, toys cleaned on a rota or extra if cause too...but I am extra vigilant when skin problems diagnosed.

So, under my guidelines I wouldn't have had her Monday Tuesday ...but fine after.
Since you have already had her without knowing about the impetigo and antiobiotics already in place for more than 48 hours then I would let her stay, if you haven't got a policy then perhaps mum didn't know to keep her away.

But if your policies say that you do not have children with Hand, foot and mouth then stick to that.

Interesting that you are going with a pharmiscist second opinion.... and not a doctors? I can see how difficult this would be for parent..government guidelines say HFM is fine to attend school, pharmiscist recommended 5-7 days when it was thought to be impetigo...but it isn't now so surely this recommendation can be discounted? Tricky with so many diagnosis in only a few days but this is often the way with rashes and skin infections. I would go with the final doctors diagnosis.