PDA

View Full Version : child swallowed 2pence coin! (not while in my care!)

emmas
20-03-2017, 09:57 AM
Hi All,

my mindee turned up this morning and parent informed me that mindee swallowed a 2pence coin on Thursday night :eeeek: Child didn't choke heaven knows how! but was xrayed and this proved the coin was in the stomach waiting to be passed naturally. (parent informed me this has not happened as yet)

my question is, should I be making a note about this somewhere, its not an injury as such, I just wasn't sure if I should do anything, can anybody offer advice?

Why do people allow small children to play with coins unattended!!!!!!! the outcome of this could have been tragic!

many thanks for any advice.

moggy
20-03-2017, 10:51 AM
I would use my 'existing injury' form just to record it as something that happened at home, as it could still have some effect on the child. I hope it passes soon!!

emmas
20-03-2017, 11:00 AM
I would use my 'existing injury' form just to record it as something that happened at home, as it could still have some effect on the child. I hope it passes soon!!

Thanks, yes that's what I was thinking, I just didn't want to appear "over the top" but I would rather be on the safe side. The thing is if it doesn't pass and it gets stuck somewhere, i just feel i should cover myself.

Thanks for the advice. :)

SYLVIA
20-03-2017, 07:55 PM
That's exactly how I made a record when a parent informed me their child had swallowed a marble! Hospital told them he would pass it in due course

tulip0803
21-03-2017, 01:58 PM
And me when a mindee swallowed a drawing pin at home, they took him to the hospital and they were not at all worried :eeeek: said it would pass in time, parent's were concerned.

mumofone
01-04-2017, 07:46 PM
I hear over and over when people talk about nurseries and children etc that "accidents happen" as if to excuse accidents but really, if you are watching and looking after children properly do they really happen that often. It amazes me some of the stuff i read that has happened and i cant help think that the parent/person in charge etc hasn't monitored the child effectively and risk assessed possible dangers.
Sorry..rant over! ;-0

blue bear
02-04-2017, 02:01 PM
One of my mindees once swallowed a snail - at home not with me . "My sammy is nice and safe in my tummy, I put him in my mouth and swallowed him like this" :panic::panic: