PDA

View Full Version : Parents that do not send suitable clothing for poor weather.

Scottish Ellen
06-02-2017, 11:17 PM
I am a childminder for a couple of friends of my daughter but everyday the parents drop them off without warm jackets for the walk to school so, luckily my daughter owns 3-4 jackets which I can lend to the girls.

I have asked the parents if they could take jackets with them but they moaned saying that the girls get driven so don't need jackets so, what else can I do :(?

**Edited by admin to remove child's name for confidentiality**

Maza
08-02-2017, 09:44 AM
I think a lot of us have had this - especially for children who are driven to your setting. All you can do is ask again and explain that they are not driven everywhere with you and that they play outside. Be insistent. Do you have safeguarding concerns in terms of neglect?

BallyH
08-02-2017, 01:21 PM
This occurs a lot and especially with things like mittens/hats etc. As Maza has said ask again and again or send out an email to all parents reminding them you walk. I've now got a collection of hats/mittens myself and tend to use these now as I was finding that the children arrived with beautiful chunky mittens that were so huge that they couldn't hold another child's hand which is very important as I walk to and from school every single day come rain or shine.

FloraDora
08-02-2017, 01:35 PM
How old are they? All my parents provide a spare set of clothes which stays here, so joggers, warm top and t shirt so if they aren't suitably dressed I have this as a fall back on but you sometimes lose this if they've had to change in the day and their clothes aren't dry.

If EY I provide an all in one waterproof play suit so I always have something for them to wear. I have the non fleece lined so I also have joggers and warm tops that I have bought from a charity shop that I keep in a basket for sharing.
I keep them and pass them on to different children. I now have every age range as my collection builds. Really good for forest school type activities too.
I do have a cosy red anarok so a girl or boy can wear, Next did 3 for £3 mitts so I had a girl and boy set.
I find that it is easier to provide sometimes, saves my angst as I clock what they are wearing and think I have to change my planning.
Mine have always loved wearing my clothes too....and they often use them just for dressing up so not costly.

bunyip
08-02-2017, 02:19 PM
Don't get me started. :mad:

I've seven children here today, taken across the day as a whole. I'd only consider two fully prepared with what mums have sent.

Flora Dora, how do you manage? I keep quite a few spares, but they're meant to be just that: spares for when one person forgets and has to get by. I keep reaching the point where hardly anyone brings what they needs. I can neither afford nor find storage space for full outdoor kit for a dozen children in a full range of sizes. :huh:

Spent all last week and this, so far, tied to paved areas because no wellies. Sick of it. Tomorrow we do a muddy walk, even if they arrive in sequinned sandals. I'm fed up asking. I think mums might remember next time if they spend tomorrow night scraping mud of unsuitable shoes.

Maza
08-02-2017, 02:47 PM
I know what you mean Bunyip about storage. I have kept some of my DD's waterproof dungarees and jackets- fortunately red so suitable for boys and girls. I don't mind using them at all if someone has genuinely forgotten their own set, or of I suspected money was tight for the family then I would happily provide every week. However, I had one family who forgot one week, not a problem - used mine, but then the week after didn't turn up with theirs again and bless him, the mindee told me that he can just wear mine - and it sounded an awful lot like he was repeating what he had been told at home. I'll do anything for anybody but if it feels like I am being taken for granted then it doesn't feel very nice. My knowledge of this family told me that it was a conscious decision not to send the stuff and just use mine. It's washing and drying the muddy stuff afterwards that I wanted to avoid on a regular basis (again, time, money and space issue) - as a one off I don't mind at all.

Having said that, in my inspection a few years ago it had snowed and I couldn't find mindees snowsuit in his bag. Thank goodness I had a spare as we definitely couldn't have played out without one, and I didn't want to risk not being able to tick the outdoor play box!

Mouse
08-02-2017, 03:16 PM
Over the years I've got fed up of the battles, so keep spares of everything here - a couple of coats, wet weather suits, wellies, slippers, sun hats, winter hats, changes of clothes. They're all in a box in the cupboard under the stairs so don't take up much space. Even the parents who are usually very good forget the right things now and again. And the parents who never bothered in the first place are never going to change, no matter how many times I remind them.

My fees are considerably higher than a lot of other childminders in the area and are inclusive of nappies, wipes, all food etc. I figure that the extra £1 an hour I charge for each child covers everything I use daily and also stretches to buy second hand spare clothes and wellies :thumbsup:

Scottish Ellen
08-02-2017, 05:46 PM
I spoke to the parents at pick up time so all took a spare jacket that I could leave at mine.

My issue today was, none of the kids had jackets zipped up after school so I had to zip them as the poor kids could not do it themselves as they had never been taught.

loocyloo
08-02-2017, 06:18 PM
Over the years I've got fed up of the battles, so keep spares of everything here - a couple of coats, wet weather suits, wellies, slippers, sun hats, winter hats, changes of clothes. They're all in a box in the cupboard under the stairs so don't take up much space. Even the parents who are usually very good forget the right things now and again. And the parents who never bothered in the first place are never going to change, no matter how many times I remind them.

My fees are considerably higher than a lot of other childminders in the area and are inclusive of nappies, wipes, all food etc. I figure that the extra £1 an hour I charge for each child covers everything I use daily and also stretches to buy second hand spare clothes and wellies :thumbsup:

I have spare hats, gloves and neck tubes. I also have a couple of spare all in one waterproofs, plus trousers/jackets. Oh and lots of thick socks! I don't mind lending mine when genuinely forgotten or family struggling.
Also, most people don't see the need for a waterproof all in one for a non moving baby ... i use mine! I did at one point have a collection of wellies, but didn't have room, so don't any more. Most children either leave wellies at mine, or come in them. If no wellies and we are out and the shoes get trashed ... then I say 'sorry, but X didn't have wellies today'

I also have a couple of spare legging/tops and the child wears whatever colour fits!

I would be cross if parents were consciously not bothering to send the correct clothing especially as it forms part of my contract! So they would be reminded of the fact!

ChocolateChip
09-02-2017, 08:45 AM
Like others I have a few spare coats/wellies left over from when my own were younger, and I provide puddlesuits for the EY children but i also struggle with storage.
Don't mind providing on the odd occasion but it does niggle when it happens repeatedly as parents know that we will be going out somewhere most days. I also have a clause in my contract that parents have to sign acknowledging that I may refuse care if children don't arrive with items needed and a 'Parents to Provide' policy which sets out exactly what I need from everyone so if it ever becomes a real problem then I have grounds to send them home to get whatever it is that they need.

Scottish Ellen
10-02-2017, 02:29 AM
How old are they? All my parents provide a spare set of clothes which stays here, so joggers, warm top and t shirt so if they aren't suitably dressed I have this as a fall back on but you sometimes lose this if they've had to change in the day and their clothes aren't dry.

If EY I provide an all in one waterproof play suit so I always have something for them to wear. I have the non fleece lined so I also have joggers and warm tops that I have bought from a charity shop that I keep in a basket for sharing.
I keep them and pass them on to different children. I now have every age range as my collection builds. Really good for forest school type activities too.
I do have a cosy red anarok so a girl or boy can wear, Next did 3 for £3 mitts so I had a girl and boy set.
I find that it is easier to provide sometimes, saves my angst as I clock what they are wearing and think I have to change my planning.
Mine have always loved wearing my clothes too....and they often use them just for dressing up so not costly.

They are 8.