PDA

View Full Version : Late fees

Sarah70
01-02-2017, 10:20 AM
Hi, one of my parents are late in paying their fees, my plan is to leave it until Friday and if they haven't paid then send a text but rather then isolate that particular parent I was going to put something on the lines of friendly reminder to all parents please can payment be made by Monday morning. What do you think ? Is there any other wording I can use ? I know this post is very feeble after all I've worked the hours and entitled to be paid but I'm not the most assertive of people and hate any kind of confrontation but at the same time I absolutely love my job and don't want to lose any business. Any help would be much appreciated x

loocyloo
01-02-2017, 05:10 PM
Hi, one of my parents are late in paying their fees, my plan is to leave it until Friday and if they haven't paid then send a text but rather then isolate that particular parent I was going to put something on the lines of friendly reminder to all parents please can payment be made by Monday morning. What do you think ? Is there any other wording I can use ? I know this post is very feeble after all I've worked the hours and entitled to be paid but I'm not the most assertive of people and hate any kind of confrontation but at the same time I absolutely love my job and don't want to lose any business. Any help would be much appreciated x

I send a reminder text the night before to 'all' parents to tell them that fees are due ('all' parents means all those that haven't yet paid! ) my parents pay on the first month for the forthcoming month.
Maybe you could give 'all' parents a letter reminding them about needing to pay on time as per contract. If I have not received payment then I can not care for the child until payment received.

Good luck x

bunyip
02-02-2017, 03:59 PM

IMHO you're going about this the wrong way because you're worrying (unnecessarily) about offending the wrong person.

The important thing is that you've correctly identified the main point. That is, you've worked hard and deserve to be paid. Let's assume this non-paying mum has a job. If her company failed to pay her, would she be directly onto her HR department to demand the money, or would she meekly avoid confrontation by not making a fuss and hoping they might get round to it sometime if it's not too much trouble?

First up, I fail to see how you'd be isolating anybody by sending a text message. Unless all your clients share and compare messages, how on earth does any mum know whether or not you've messaged anyone else or just them alone?

I dislike generic messages to all parents when they really apply to just one. I'd only add a generic reminder to my newsletter if there was a problem common to several parents, or at times of year when they're more likely to overlook the bill, such as Christmas.

I think I'd be annoyed if my bank sent me a letter saying how a lot of people are overdrawn , since I don't have an overdraft. If you were driving properly and legally, how would you feel if the police pulled you over to just mention, all friendly like, that a lot of people exceed the speed limit and they thought perhaps you should know, even though you did nothing wrong.

That's what a generic message to all parents does, and I think the innocent have the right to find it strange to be lumped in with the guilty.

So, instead of worrying about isolating this mum, that is precisely what you should do. Isolate the problem (her) and deal with it.

No need to be emotive, just state the plain facts. She owes you, she has agreed by contract to a due date, end of. Do not be apologetic about it and don't remind her how you have bills to pay (if she gave a 5h1t about your living expenses she'd have paid already.) The only thing you might point out is that the business income pays for the business expenses, and you're going to find it pretty darned difficult to feed and entertain the mindees with no money.

bunyip
02-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Forgot to say.....

Crucially, you need the following things in your contracted terms if you wish to be paid on time ( or paid at all, in some instances.)

Payment to be in advance of care, never in arrears.

A late payment charge, of a scale which will serve as an effective deterrent.

A clear statement that you will withdraw care without notice if payment is not forthcoming.

tiredandemotional
07-02-2017, 04:49 PM

Sarah, I have this exact same, ongoing, problem with two of my parents- always the same two and, typically the parents of the two hardest work children (by dint of them being under 5's but also they are really difficult). I have literally just sent out a reminder text (I only send it to the late payers but make it look like it is going to everyone by thanking those who have paid) and logged on here for some advice as I'm getting to the end of my tether. I have done all that Bunyip advises apart from asking for payment in advance (I'd be grateful for some advice on this as my charges fluctuate month by month so how do you charge in advance?). I did a stern paragraph in my last newsletter about non payment but chickened out of saying that I'd impose the contracted late payment fee as I was worried about losing clients. I think this was a mistake as these parents obviously don't care about being late unless it affects them - i.e. they pay more. This will be my next step as my, terribly British and polite, tactics aren't working. It's affecting how I view these families and I am especially resentful as they both run high profile businesses in my town where I'm sure credit wouldn't be granted! (although I actually think this is part of the problem - I suspect they view me as another supplier who's invoice can be juggled whilst they get their income in). So lots of sympathy and let us know how you get on as we are in the same boat!

bunyip
07-02-2017, 05:18 PM
Sarah, I have this exact same, ongoing, problem with two of my parents- always the same two and, typically the parents of the two hardest work children (by dint of them being under 5's but also they are really difficult). I have literally just sent out a reminder text (I only send it to the late payers but make it look like it is going to everyone by thanking those who have paid) and logged on here for some advice as I'm getting to the end of my tether. I have done all that Bunyip advises apart from asking for payment in advance (I'd be grateful for some advice on this as my charges fluctuate month by month so how do you charge in advance?). I did a stern paragraph in my last newsletter about non payment but chickened out of saying that I'd impose the contracted late payment fee as I was worried about losing clients. I think this was a mistake as these parents obviously don't care about being late unless it affects them - i.e. they pay more. This will be my next step as my, terribly British and polite, tactics aren't working. It's affecting how I view these families and I am especially resentful as they both run high profile businesses in my town where I'm sure credit wouldn't be granted! (although I actually think this is part of the problem - I suspect they view me as another supplier who's invoice can be juggled whilst they get their income in). So lots of sympathy and let us know how you get on as we are in the same boat!

Almost all my invoices fluctuate from month to month too.

I issue invoices mid-month with payment due on the 1st of the following month. So, in January I drew up invoices between 17th and 21st January, charging for all the February dates of care, plus any care previously provided but not charged for (usually extra hours, etc.). Any extra hours taken in February then go on the next invoice. So it's not strictly full payment in advance, because of extra bookings and additional hours that crop up at the last minute. But it's about 95% in advance IYSWIM.

With regard to introducing late fees, here's a suggestion. On the next invoice, include a calculation of the late payment fees they ought to be paying. Write it clearly on the invoice, then include a "discretionary credit" for the same amount, marked as " late fees waived as a discretionary credit ON THIS OCCASION ONLY - please note, late fees WILL be applied in all future instances in which payment is not received by the due date." That way, they've seen the maths, had their warning, and have only themselves to blame. It shows you're serious, but you do have to mean it and do it. Don't threaten what you're not prepared to go through with.

You might also like to prepare a rough calculation of ALL the late fees you've previously waived without even mentioning in the past. Then you can support your argument if/when she has a moan at you.

tiredandemotional
07-02-2017, 08:45 PM
Almost all my invoices fluctuate from month to month too.

I issue invoices mid-month with payment due on the 1st of the following month. So, in January I drew up invoices between 17th and 21st January, charging for all the February dates of care, plus any care previously provided but not charged for (usually extra hours, etc.). Any extra hours taken in February then go on the next invoice. So it's not strictly full payment in advance, because of extra bookings and additional hours that crop up at the last minute. But it's about 95% in advance IYSWIM.

With regard to introducing late fees, here's a suggestion. On the next invoice, include a calculation of the late payment fees they ought to be paying. Write it clearly on the invoice, then include a "discretionary credit" for the same amount, marked as " late fees waived as a discretionary credit ON THIS OCCASION ONLY - please note, late fees WILL be applied in all future instances in which payment is not received by the due date." That way, they've seen the maths, had their warning, and have only themselves to blame. It shows you're serious, but you do have to mean it and do it. Don't threaten what you're not prepared to go through with.

You might also like to prepare a rough calculation of ALL the late fees you've previously waived without even mentioning in the past. Then you can support your argument if/when she has a moan at you.

Thank you so much for this Bunyip, all sage advice there and I will be following it. I only wish we all didn't have to do this, as we provide such a great service they should be falling over themselves to pay :laughing: