PDA

View Full Version : Newbie - Will have LOADSSS of questions...

damkid
31-01-2017, 12:05 PM
But first of all can I ask what you would do in this scenario, I have been contacted by a parent wanting to arrange care starting after August. If we were to go ahead what type of deposit should I be asking for?

All help appreciated.

BallyH
31-01-2017, 12:46 PM
But first of all can I ask what you would do in this scenario, I have been contacted by a parent wanting to arrange care starting after August. If we were to go ahead what type of deposit should I be asking for?

All help appreciated.

Hello and welcome. Re the deposit everyone is different. You have to think of an amount that the parent will be able to afford upfront but also will think twice about walking away from if they decide to cancel their space.

Mine changes with every contract. I've just signed a child to start in September for 22 hours a week and I've asked for a deposit of £200.

So you decide what you would be prepared to accept to ensure the parent stays.

Others will reply also. That's one of the beauties of this forum - lots of different advice from different angles.

damkid
31-01-2017, 01:10 PM
Hello and welcome. Re the deposit everyone is different. You have to think of an amount that the parent will be able to afford upfront but also will think twice about walking away from if they decide to cancel their space.

Mine changes with every contract. I've just signed a child to start in September for 22 hours a week and I've asked for a deposit of £200.

Others will reply also. That's one of the beauties of this forum - lots of different advice from different angles.

Thanks, what I am also struggling to get my head round. If I am saving the space to September, what happens if someone else comes along in the mean time and wants the exact same slot but to start in March and it appears that it would be a long term arrangement (to run beyond September).

moggy
31-01-2017, 03:10 PM
For me, a family wanting care after Aug, I'd say call me in May and see if I have a space then.
I can not leave a space empty for 6mths. Some would charge a 50% non-refundable retainer but then you have to keep the space available for that family and I do not want to lose 50% income on a space for 6mths.
But if you are happy to not be earning on that space, or have another child to take the place until Aug, then a deposit equal to 4 weeks fees is what I ask for and I refund that on their 2nd months fees to stop time wasters.
It is tempting when you are new to say 'yes' to everything but be picky, other work will come, don't agree to something you may well regret- a perfect family wanting immediate care might come up next week and if you've gone and signed this space away for August you'll be kicking yourself!

damkid
31-01-2017, 04:40 PM
For me, a family wanting care after Aug, I'd say call me in May and see if I have a space then.
I can not leave a space empty for 6mths. Some would charge a 50% non-refundable retainer but then you have to keep the space available for that family and I do not want to lose 50% income on a space for 6mths.
But if you are happy to not be earning on that space, or have another child to take the place until Aug, then a deposit equal to 4 weeks fees is what I ask for and I refund that on their 2nd months fees to stop time wasters.
It is tempting when you are new to say 'yes' to everything but be picky, other work will come, don't agree to something you may well regret- a perfect family wanting immediate care might come up next week and if you've gone and signed this space away for August you'll be kicking yourself!

Thanks, that is what I would be thinking, just really looking for reassurance and clarification.

BallyH
31-01-2017, 06:12 PM

The child that I have signed to start in September will have an existing eyfs child's space who will start school in September. I will loose no income.