PDA

View Full Version : car seat.

It's a small world
29-01-2017, 08:10 PM
Hi I have a newbie starting next week and my rear facing car seat isn't great so looking for advice on which ones everyone has. Looking at one that's both rear and forward facing to get money and use out of it x any advice thank you x

Lal
30-01-2017, 01:08 PM
I've had the Joie Every Stage for about 2 weeks now. It seems really good- I use it rear facing for littlies and then can turn it around, stow the 5 point harness (you don't need to re-thread it) and use it for my 6yr old dd. Several of my parents have Joie seats too (the Tilt, Stages and Stedi) and have been pleased with them.

I also looked at the Graco Milestone which seem a good seat, but the Joie was a much better fit in my car (Audi A6 with silly shaped leather seats).

It's a small world
31-01-2017, 07:16 AM
I've had the Joie Every Stage for about 2 weeks now. It seems really good- I use it rear facing for littlies and then can turn it around, stow the 5 point harness (you don't need to re-thread it) and use it for my 6yr old dd. Several of my parents have Joie seats too (the Tilt, Stages and Stedi) and have been pleased with them.

I also looked at the Graco Milestone which seem a good seat, but the Joie was a much better fit in my car (Audi A6 with silly shaped leather seats).

Thank you x

It's a small world
31-01-2017, 07:17 AM
[QUOTE="It's a small world;1428967"]

Thank you x been awhile since I've had to use a rear facing seat - had 2 cars since I last used one. Now the laws have changed want to make sure i have a decent one x

moggy
01-02-2017, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE="It's a small world;1428967"]

Thank you x been awhile since I've had to use a rear facing seat - had 2 cars since I last used one. Now the laws have changed want to make sure i have a decent one x

The law has not changed yet, it was postponed from December to the spring, but not actually happened yet. It will only effect the sale of new seats.

It's a small world
01-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Thank you I have to purchases a new seat as mine is about 5 years old and doesn't fit in my new car. Hence asking is it required to have 12mth in rear facing or will I be OK in forward facing n?

moggy
02-02-2017, 08:36 AM
Thank you I have to purchases a new seat as mine is about 5 years old and doesn't fit in my new car. Hence asking is it required to have 12mth in rear facing or will I be OK in forward facing n?

It explains here:
Child car seats: the law - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/using-a-child-car-seat-or-booster-seat)

Follow the instructions on the seat. Forward facing is OK from 9kg weight on the weight-based seats, but check the seat- there should be a label on it saying the weight requirements.

Also check the label for this:
'Only EU-approved weight-based child car seats can be used in the UK. These have a label showing a capital ‘E’ in a circle and ‘ECE R44’.'

The 15mths rear facing thing is for new 'iSize' seats which will be labelled as such, they are done based on height. And check:
'Only EU-approved height-based child car seats can be used in the UK. These have a label showing a capital ‘E’ in a circle and ‘R129’.'

It's a small world
02-02-2017, 09:36 PM
It explains here:
Child car seats: the law - GOV.UK (https://www.gov.uk/child-car-seats-the-rules/using-a-child-car-seat-or-booster-seat)

Follow the instructions on the seat. Forward facing is OK from 9kg weight on the weight-based seats, but check the seat- there should be a label on it saying the weight requirements.

Also check the label for this:
'Only EU-approved weight-based child car seats can be used in the UK. These have a label showing a capital ‘E’ in a circle and ‘ECE R44’.'

The 15mths rear facing thing is for new 'iSize' seats which will be labelled as such, they are done based on height. And check:
'Only EU-approved height-based child car seats can be used in the UK. These have a label showing a capital ‘E’ in a circle and ‘R129’.'

My current toddler chair is from 9 months plus forward facing.
. Have tried lo in it. And know mum asked about rear facing. Tbh I'm not comfortable with them in it. And Tried last 2 days and although they've not cried they don't seem to sit right so have found a rear facing 0-4 year seat. Reasonable price and then I'll know I've got a suitable rear facing seat for future mindees. Thanks for advice x better be safe than sorry. Xx

It's a small world
03-02-2017, 06:12 AM
Sorry to be a pain not sure why I'm so confused. my current seat is weight based and states from 9kg upwards so if child is that weight I'm ok? Even though they're only 1yo just feel they should be rear facing. So confusing x lol. If I purchase a new seat refacing will depend on whether it's an iseat - height based or a weight based seat .? Im thinking would it be wise to purchase a new seat whilst on offer and then I know I'm covered for future mindees or just stick with what I've got and get a new seat when and if required!? X

moggy
04-02-2017, 02:47 PM
Sorry to be a pain not sure why I'm so confused. my current seat is weight based and states from 9kg upwards so if child is that weight I'm ok? Even though they're only 1yo just feel they should be rear facing. So confusing x lol. If I purchase a new seat refacing will depend on whether it's an iseat - height based or a weight based seat .? Im thinking would it be wise to purchase a new seat whilst on offer and then I know I'm covered for future mindees or just stick with what I've got and get a new seat when and if required!? X

Current seat- yes, if you are following the labeling on the seat it is correct- 9kg+ forward facing is legal in a seat labelled as such.

New seat- yes, you need to look at how the new seat is labelled. No seat is going to become 'illegal' once you have purchased it. So anything you buy now will be usable for many years, regardless of any law change. Law changes only effect the sale of new seats from the date the law changes.

Buying a new rear-facing seat now will just be based on whether you and the parents prefer it. No legal requirement to do so, and will not have any baring on a future law change (and the law so far has NOT been changed, we are just awaiting a possible change this year)

It's a small world
06-02-2017, 07:46 AM
Thank you. Got a rear facing one so covered for new child and future little ones xx