PDA

View Full Version : Invoices

Sarah70
27-01-2017, 11:11 AM
Hi all,
I do my invoices on the last day of the month but some of my parents are not paying me until 2 or even 3 weeks later and then i have to send a reminder.
Now to be fair to the parents I don't have a date on the invoice that it has to be paid by but struggling financial myself when sometimes waiting up to 3 weeks for payments.
Can I ask you all I know everybody is different but roughly how long do you wait for payments after you have sent the invoice ? Also I want to change my invoices to put in something on the lines please can payments be made within so many days but at the same time I don't want to come across rude. Thank you in advance for your help

sarah707
27-01-2017, 09:56 PM
You are running a business and need to think like a business person...

You need paying within a timescale that works for you.

My invoices state that I need payment by the end of the first week of the month - and my fees policy states that if I do not receive payment on time I will refuse care until it's paid.

Parents must respect the work you do and pay you on time!

You will find a free fees policy and other fees advice / information here - Free Childminder Paperwork - Childcare.co.uk (https://www.childcare.co.uk/free-childminder-paperwork).

I hope that helps :D

FloraDora
27-01-2017, 10:24 PM
As Sarah said.
I have the 28th of the month as my payment. I send invoices 10 days before.
My voucher parents pay when their money goes in and company processes, which may be in a little later, but I allow that, never paid more than 5 days later.

Go back to your contract and if it doesn't work out for you then you may need to rethink and review.

moggy
28-01-2017, 08:44 AM
I state in contract and on every invoice that payment is by 1st of the month for that month (so in advance). I send email invoice at least 14 days before that.

Ellisha
28-01-2017, 04:39 PM
Hi all,
I do my invoices on the last day of the month but some of my parents are not paying me until 2 or even 3 weeks later and then i have to send a reminder.
Now to be fair to the parents I don't have a date on the invoice that it has to be paid by but struggling financial myself when sometimes waiting up to 3 weeks for payments.
Can I ask you all I know everybody is different but roughly how long do you wait for payments after you have sent the invoice ? Also I want to change my invoices to put in something on the lines please can payments be made within so many days but at the same time I don't want to come across rude. Thank you in advance for your help

I send my invoice out 1-2 weeks in advance and ask for payment by the last business day of the previous month so I'm paid in advance. I state on the invoice the date I need payment by and also I the email the invoice is attached to. I also ask parents to confirm once they have paid.

mumofone
28-01-2017, 07:27 PM
I have a child, comes one day a week, last invoice was sent out over a week in advance, they didn't pay, still bought the child to the unpaid session, said oh sorry I've not paid yet I'm rubbish at things like that, i'll pay later today. Still no money a day later - texted to ask them nicely to pay, no acknowledgement of text and still no money. Grr

bunyip
29-01-2017, 08:02 AM
I have a child, comes one day a week, last invoice was sent out over a week in advance, they didn't pay, still bought the child to the unpaid session, said oh sorry I've not paid yet I'm rubbish at things like that, i'll pay later today. Still no money a day later - texted to ask them nicely to pay, no acknowledgement of text and still no money. Grr

That's awful- poor you.

Honestly, "I'm rubbish at things like that" just won't butter no parsnips. Do they tell that to their electricity provider, mortgage company, or the court when summoned for non payment of council tax.?

Some parents need looking after more than their children.

I have a client who also knows she's "rubbish at things like that" but she appreciates and respects the service I provide. So she set up a monthly standing order for the bulk of the bill and pays the balance in cash. I sometimes have to wait a few days for the cash, but at least I know I'll get the main payment on time, which isn't a big deal since it's payment in advance of care.

mumofone
29-01-2017, 09:09 PM
That's awful- poor you.

Honestly, "I'm rubbish at things like that" just won't butter no parsnips. Do they tell that to their electricity provider, mortgage company, or the court when summoned for non payment of council tax.?

Some parents need looking after more than their children.

I have a client who also knows she's "rubbish at things like that" but she appreciates and respects the service I provide. So she set up a monthly standing order for the bulk of the bill and pays the balance in cash. I sometimes have to wait a few days for the cash, but at least I know I'll get the main payment on time, which isn't a big deal since it's payment in advance of care.

Lol!

It's my fault I guess, I could have turned her away before accepting her last time but this is where i feel our job is hard. We need to be seen as soft and caring whilst ensuring we don't get walked all over. I knew if I turned her away and didn't give her the benefit of the doubt that she would be massively ****** off. Terminating the contract creates a nasty atmosphere for someone I will cross paths with at the school for years, it leaves her in a bad place with no childcare but at the same time shes not respecting me and having the decency to pay on time or letting me know when she will. What to do eh!

Sorry didnt mean to hijack this thread with my hard luck story!!

bunyip
30-01-2017, 08:31 AM
Lol!

It's my fault I guess, I could have turned her away before accepting her last time but this is where i feel our job is hard. We need to be seen as soft and caring whilst ensuring we don't get walked all over. I knew if I turned her away and didn't give her the benefit of the doubt that she would be massively ****** off. Terminating the contract creates a nasty atmosphere for someone I will cross paths with at the school for years, it leaves her in a bad place with no childcare but at the same time shes not respecting me and having the decency to pay on time or letting me know when she will. What to do eh!

Sorry didnt mean to hijack this thread with my hard luck story!!

Do you have a late payment fee in the contract?

I'd be tempted to write a letter, reminding her that she has agreed to pay on time; that you are entitled to charge extra for late payment; and that you can/will withdraw care without notice if it persists. Point out that you rely on timely payment to cover the costs of the business , so the children suffer if money is late.

Don't make the mistake most CMs make of telling her that you have to live, etc. She knows that, and if she gave a monkey's she'd have already paid, so it will only look like griping to her.

I would point out that you've already waived £whatever to date in late payment fees, but you will start charging from the next time she's late with the money.

It is a tricky one. Small businesses are usually paid late; anything up to 3 months is perfectly normal for most businesses. You need to have reasonable fees rather than punitive charges for late payment, at least you do if it's going to get legal. But tbh I'd go for something a bit on the punitive side to shock her into action. You can always reduce later in the unlikely event she pulls in a solicitor.

I'd charge nothing for up to a week late, then £25 for each week after that. If you have to do that 3 times issue final warning that you suspend care next time. This procedure is just a suggestion, you need to play it as you best see fit.

mumofone
30-01-2017, 09:35 PM
Do you have a late payment fee in the contract?

I'd be tempted to write a letter, reminding her that she has agreed to pay on time; that you are entitled to charge extra for late payment; and that you can/will withdraw care without notice if it persists. Point out that you rely on timely payment to cover the costs of the business , so the children suffer if money is late.

Don't make the mistake most CMs make of telling her that you have to live, etc. She knows that, and if she gave a monkey's she'd have already paid, so it will only look like griping to her.

I would point out that you've already waived £whatever to date in late payment fees, but you will start charging from the next time she's late with the money.

It is a tricky one. Small businesses are usually paid late; anything up to 3 months is perfectly normal for most businesses. You need to have reasonable fees rather than punitive charges for late payment, at least you do if it's going to get legal. But tbh I'd go for something a bit on the punitive side to shock her into action. You can always reduce later in the unlikely event she pulls in a solicitor.

I'd charge nothing for up to a week late, then £25 for each week after that. If you have to do that 3 times issue final warning that you suspend care next time. This procedure is just a suggestion, you need to play it as you best see fit.

Thanks bunyip, yes I do, I haven't ever charged anyone with it despite a fair few late payments though!

They paid this evening luckily, popped round with cash. I had sent a second reminder (a nice one!) this morning. Why do some people always have issues with their internet banking and making payments though and others just get on with it with no issues whatsoever!!

I'm glad it didnt turn nasty, I think they have good intentions but maybe struggle with money a bit and know they I am more likely to go easy on them.