PDA

View Full Version : Fruit - how much?

mumofone
09-01-2017, 01:44 PM
Can anyone help me ...i look after a just over 1 year old who has had a leaked nappy a few times whilst with me which i always feel absolutely awful about. However they seem to me to come with a lot of fruit for a small person so for instance a whole kiwi and grapes for a snack then this is in addition to more fruit for pudding at lunch plus any veggies in the lunch...their nappies (poos) are always really soggy and wet and never dark or hard which look completely wrong to me. Can anyone advise? I want to they shouldn't eat so much fruit but that seems kinda wrong?!

mumofone
09-01-2017, 01:54 PM
sorry "hard" is the wrong word, i mean not watery!

moggy
09-01-2017, 02:09 PM
Very soft poo is normal for some toddlers, I have had some who never had a firm, formed poo until about 2.5yrs.
They should have 5-a-day and a portion is a fist size, see page 9 here:
http://www.nhs.uk/Change4Life/supporter-resources/downloads/EY_LocalSupportersGuide_acc.pdf
So may be make a note through the day and try to estimate the 'portions' compared to the size of the child's fist, probably is around 5?

mumofone
09-01-2017, 02:16 PM
Thanks moggy, its not just soft but watery..

mumofone
09-01-2017, 02:17 PM
I wondered if that had anything to do with not digesting foods properly...

bunyip
09-01-2017, 04:46 PM
Can anyone help me ...i look after a just over 1 year old who has had a leaked nappy a few times whilst with me which i always feel absolutely awful about. However they seem to me to come with a lot of fruit for a small person so for instance a whole kiwi and grapes for a snack then this is in addition to more fruit for pudding at lunch plus any veggies in the lunch...their nappies (poos) are always really soggy and wet and never dark or hard which look completely wrong to me. Can anyone advise? I want to they shouldn't eat so much fruit but that seems kinda wrong?!

Mo1, you aren't wrong to suggest lo's can have too much fruit. A lot of nutritionists are saying childhood obesity is as much down to portion size as the "wrong" foods. Put bluntly, a lot of middle clad children are getting fat on so-called "healthy" food.

They might develop dental problems too. Although better than refined sugar, fruit is packed with sugars that still damage teeth.

You could call NHS Direct or speak to your GP's practice nurse and dentist.

mumofone
09-01-2017, 09:55 PM
Mo1, you aren't wrong to suggest lo's can have too much fruit. A lot of nutritionists are saying childhood obesity is as much down to portion size as the "wrong" foods. Put bluntly, a lot of middle clad children are getting fat on so-called "healthy" food.

They might develop dental problems too. Although better than refined sugar, fruit is packed with sugars that still damage teeth.

You could call NHS Direct or speak to your GP's practice nurse and dentist.

Yeh i've just been reading how some nurseries have had it drilled in to them so much that they must be offering fruit and veg that nutritionists are saying that the children are lacking in other vitamins etc because all they have is fruit and veg!!
Mum says the child i look after always has lots of fruit so we cant blame the runny nappy on that.....i guess i cant argue with that!

blue bear
10-01-2017, 06:58 PM
The dentist who comes to the children's centre always advises one portion of fruit a day is enough the other four or more portions should be veg. I'd say for a one year old half a kiwi or four grapes is enough.