PDA

View Full Version : 4 year old girl starting in september...

jw19nr
10-08-2008, 05:58 PM
I have a 4 year old girl starting in september, which would be my first mindee. She is starting full time school in september.

Is she likly to be able to walk the half an hour walk to and from school? I do have a car, but keen to keep costs down and keep getting excerise and fresh air! I was wondering if she will be too tired?

Also, can I expect her to want to go to the park/go see the animals (near by farm we can walk to to look at the animals on the way to park), play games etc? Or is she gana be shattered from starting full time school and prefer to maybe just have a snack and have some rest time?

Minstrel
10-08-2008, 06:00 PM
My son is 4 and at full time nursery since easter and going into reception in sept.

I usually found walk to school was fine although not home as well. after a full day it was too much for him. our walk was about 20 mins so yours is even further.

hth

LisaH
10-08-2008, 06:46 PM
My school run is fairly short but I would have thought that a 30 min walk may be too much to start with, especially both ways.

You could ask parent how much walking child normally does. Some are not used to walking far at all. Too used to going everywhere in the car.

Perhaps walk in the mornings and see how things go.:)

angeldelight
11-08-2008, 06:54 AM
Personally I think it depends on the little girl and how much walking she does with her family

My grandson is 3 and he will walk and walk all day long but that is because they are always out and about

The 4 year old I mind moans at even a short walk

I would ask the parents

Good luck come September

Angel xxx

miffy
11-08-2008, 06:57 AM
I think I'd ask the parents too

She is likely to be tired if she's been at school all day so I wouldn't worry if she doesn't want to go to the park or farm to begin with

Good luck

Miffy xx

Mollymop
11-08-2008, 07:01 AM
As angel says it all depends on the little girl.

Her parents will be able to tell you.

If you have already decided not to use your car then maybe it is best to get her used to walking to school and back, as it does them no harm.

My daughter has been walking to and from pre-school since the age of 3 and it is a 20 min walk there and 20 back.

She is starting school in sept too and she has walked up to town (30 mins) for me and back again since she was 3.

I don't drive, you see, so if I had to look after a school child of 4 I would expect them to walk to school and back - I can't put them in the buggy can I?

Even if mum or dad says she can't walk that far very well, i would personally not give in and take the car - I would get her to walk she may enjoy it.

jw19nr
11-08-2008, 04:08 PM
Thanks, I did ask the parents, but they didnt really know. They said she would probably moan for them, but might be ok for me.

I might not have time to walk in the morning but would like to for the afternoon.

The other thing, is if I use the car, I have to get any littles ones in and out etc which is a shame

Wiggly
11-08-2008, 04:11 PM
My son has just completed Year R and I would say that a half hour walk both ways would have been too much for him this time last year. He is full of energy but school did wipe him out initially.

Good luck.
Wiggly
x

Gherkin
11-08-2008, 09:19 PM
Really depends on the child. My son turned 4 last week and he used to do a 20 min to and from a school drop off with only the occassional winge (was a nice walk by lakes so lots to see) my 2 year old will also do it if in the right mood. I like them to walk as I do not want them to turn into car babies.

Minstrel
12-08-2008, 07:44 AM
I agree most should be able to do it in a bit of time. when they first start school though it usually wipes them out for a bit. plus it may take u longer with a tired 4 yr old or a whingy one!!

Pedagog
12-08-2008, 10:30 AM
My Own children were more than capable of a half hours walk either end of the school day at 4, but then I do not drive and so they are used to it. A lot depends on if the little girl is used to walking or not a lot of children are always in the car.