PDA

View Full Version : 15 months old crying all day

Kitti
17-12-2016, 02:35 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to childminding but I used to work as a nursery nurse. My second child is a 15 months old cute little boy, the settling in went fine. This was our second week together, and unfortunately he is crying all day. Believe or not, the only thing what calms him down is my husband. If he is giving him cuddles, everything is fine, anyway he is behaving like he is afraid of me. He is not looking into my eyes, his heart is beating heavily. And nothing, and I really mean NOTHING puts off him. He is not interested in toys, other children. Only my husband can feed him. His mother told me, normally he is a happy child but he is after vaccinations and he is teething. Her friend was looking after him once a week and they did not have any problems. I do not know how much time should I give them. I am very patient but crying all 9 hours to my ears without any reason is not acceptable. And not to mention all the other children in the setting. They can't play, they can't sleep. Every day is just worst. I would like to talk to other professionals but everything is closed in this time of the year. I would really appreciate every advice! Thank you in advance!

watford wizz
18-12-2016, 02:09 PM
Hi and welcome, sounds like hubby doing a brilliant job is he your assistant?
You say settling in was fine, how long did you do? I do a month settling in which I know isn't always possible but I start with very short 2hr then 2hrs plus lunch, slowly working up to full days. I also do a home visit which can be very revealing and give you an insight into how they are treated ie dummy 24/7, or carried all the time. I have also extended settling in depending on child and parents/carers they are all different.
Teeth and immunisation won't be helping and he may well feel under par.
Starting at a new setting is a huge thing for little ones and he's already settled with mums friend so may take a bit longer with you.
I would try and keep routine as same as possible, same toys, feeding times, sleep times etc so he gets to know what happens next, for a few weeks. No big changes.
It could also be the other children unsettling him especially if he has no experience of others. He may feel more confident in a buggy or high chair so he's at older children's height and a bit protected from them.
Sometimes especially if they are first babies it could be that they are used to total 1 to 1 attention when ever they squeak.
Some times you just have to push through until they settle but only you will know your limits on this. Try not to take it personally sometimes it just doesn't work out only you can make that call. X

mumofone
22-12-2016, 09:00 PM
Hello Everyone,

I am new to childminding but I used to work as a nursery nurse. My second child is a 15 months old cute little boy, the settling in went fine. This was our second week together, and unfortunately he is crying all day. Believe or not, the only thing what calms him down is my husband. If he is giving him cuddles, everything is fine, anyway he is behaving like he is afraid of me. He is not looking into my eyes, his heart is beating heavily. And nothing, and I really mean NOTHING puts off him. He is not interested in toys, other children. Only my husband can feed him. His mother told me, normally he is a happy child but he is after vaccinations and he is teething. Her friend was looking after him once a week and they did not have any problems. I do not know how much time should I give them. I am very patient but crying all 9 hours to my ears without any reason is not acceptable. And not to mention all the other children in the setting. They can't play, they can't sleep. Every day is just worst. I would like to talk to other professionals but everything is closed in this time of the year. I would really appreciate every advice! Thank you in advance!

Aw I really feel for you. Thats great that you husband can calm him.
I had a baby start with me fairly recently who cried solidly during their settling in sessions, i thought they would never settle here and with me, they werent calmed by me at all initially but theyre fine now and you would never know. So it may be worth riding it out but i was on the brink of telling the parents it just wasnt working when they started to settle so dont be too hasty, i'd give them a good few weeks to settle then see how you feel then. Good luck x

ChocolateChip
11-01-2017, 05:14 PM
Hope you had a good Christmas, have you had the lo back yet? Hope it's going ok.
I had one boy of 11mths who used to come four days a week in school time and did nothing but sit by my lounge door (into the hallway) and cry all day, despite me trying everything to comfort and distract him. He was still doing this in the third week and I was at the point of saying to mum we would have to call it a day as he wasn't settling and then he just changed, it was a like a switch had turned him into a different child! After that he was happy as Larry, playing and coming for cuddles and everything, so it might be worth giving it a bit longer. :)