PDA

View Full Version : Tooth brushing

sarah707
17-12-2016, 09:11 AM
Do you brush children's teeth in your provision?

We used to - we were given brushes and paste by our local dental health team and we brushed the children's teeth with them every day after lunch... then we were advised to stop for reasons I cannot fully remember (it was a long time ago).

Now it seems, according to a recent study, that tooth brushing in provisions has had a positive impact on children and parents ... I wonder if we'll be advised to start doing it again? :D

Supervised Toothbrushing in Early Years Settings | From pregnancy to children aged 5 (http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/2016/12/supervised-toothbrushing-in-early-years-settings/)

watford wizz
17-12-2016, 12:45 PM
We do brushing after breakfast and at bedtime for those who are here at those times.

Maza
26-12-2016, 10:03 AM
Our dentist just recently told us that they were advising all early years settings to clean teeth after lunch. Last week when I took DD for her check up she was asking the usual questions about diet and was appalled when I told her that they are given a sugary snack (provided by school) every day - usually a brownie/muffin/biscuit/flapjack (plus a piece of fruit to keep the parents happy) and also a sugary pudding after lunch every day. Thank goodness they are only allowed water to drink.

All my mindees used to brush their teeth after lunch. Not immediately afterwards because you do have to wait a little while after eating.

FloraDora
30-12-2016, 11:16 PM
We brush our teeth after afternoon nap. Children love it, fills up a few minutes as we all take turns ( I do mine as role modal). I bought Sains own make of tooth paste for cost cutting in December - not one child likes it - they all wanted the milky teeth one back.
Youngest son discovered the abandoned full tube in the bathroom drawer and claimed it!! He's always ' acquiring' things from me when he visits - living on your own is expensive..