PDA

View Full Version : PLA article about the 30 hours funding...

sarah707
12-12-2016, 09:13 PM
Powerful article in support of all early years providers from PLA :)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/dec/12/tories-free-childcare-punish-children-families

FloraDora
13-12-2016, 06:30 AM
Thank you for this sign post Sarah. Well done Neil Leitch for writing it as it is and the PLA for doing his groundwork.

Update on my LA is that yesterday I received an email and a request to complete yet another survey around this.
The email informed me that the government have said that the basic level of funding should be the same for all children - currently they pay more per hour for 2 year olds than 3/4 year olds which I think is the practise across the country. This will stop when the new funding comes in. I am a little concerned about the word ' basic ' here...it leaves LA's room for play I think.

So it looks like all funding will be similar in the future here. I have had one child under 2 year funding and she certainly cost me more in provision, wellies, play suit, came without nappies / appropriate clothing sometimes. I spent a lot of time chatting with parents too. But I felt the extra funding covered these costs. This of course is not the same for all 2 year olds who receive the funding, but there must have been a reason for LA's offering more at this age.
The email stated that this means that some settings will be affected - which means that all funding will be lower than the 2 year funding....but it may be the 3/4 will go up.
No specifics though, just generalised wording so far....they want us to complete the survey first.

Mouse
13-12-2016, 09:22 AM
Thank you for this sign post Sarah. Well done Neil Leitch for writing it as it is and the PLA for doing his groundwork.

Update on my LA is that yesterday I received an email and a request to complete yet another survey around this.
The email informed me that the government have said that the basic level of funding should be the same for all children - currently they pay more per hour for 2 year olds than 3/4 year olds which I think is the practise across the country. This will stop when the new funding comes in. I am a little concerned about the word ' basic ' here...it leaves LA's room for play I think.

So it looks like all funding will be similar in the future here. I have had one child under 2 year funding and she certainly cost me more in provision, wellies, play suit, came without nappies / appropriate clothing sometimes. I spent a lot of time chatting with parents too. But I felt the extra funding covered these costs. This of course is not the same for all 2 year olds who receive the funding, but there must have been a reason for LA's offering more at this age.
The email stated that this means that some settings will be affected - which means that all funding will be lower than the 2 year funding....but it may be the 3/4 will go up.
No specifics though, just generalised wording so far....they want us to complete the survey first.

We've had endless surveys to complete and to pass on to parents to complete. I would have filled in more, but they way they are worded doesn't really make sense to a childminding setting. If they can't be bothered to make a few simple amendments for us I'm afraid I can't be bothered to try and work out a way to get the form to work for me.
Our LA is trying to get us to make a commitment to the 30 hours funding, but without giving us any information about it. Who in their right mind is going to commit to something without being told what it is?

loocyloo
13-12-2016, 10:35 AM
We've had endless surveys to complete and to pass on to parents to complete. I would have filled in more, but they way they are worded doesn't really make sense to a childminding setting. If they can't be bothered to make a few simple amendments for us I'm afraid I can't be bothered to try and work out a way to get the form to work for me.
Our LA is trying to get us to make a commitment to the 30 hours funding, but without giving us any information about it. Who in their right mind is going to commit to something without being told what it is?

We keep being asked to fill in 'sufficiency' surveys, saying what spaces we have, and what funded spaces we can offer. But equally mouse, the form isn't really worded well for childminders. I just write all over it!

sarah707
13-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Our la have been really quiet :laughing: or if they have asked questions they haven't asked me!!

However, the rules will be quite specific and I don't think LAs will be able to do much with them - I just came across this which is interesting - http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2016/12/DfE-30-Hours-LED-Conference-Pack.pdf.

:D

loocyloo
13-12-2016, 09:03 PM
Our la have been really quiet :laughing: or if they have asked questions they haven't asked me!!

However, the rules will be quite specific and I don't think LAs will be able to do much with them - I just came across this which is interesting - http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2016/12/DfE-30-Hours-LED-Conference-Pack.pdf.

:D

Thanks, that's interesting.

Although my LA is still saying that the 95% of the amount paid per child per hour is the maximum you will get as it includes any extras such as EYPP, rather than being the 'base rate'.