PDA

View Full Version : Name recognition

mumofone
21-11-2016, 07:58 PM
I only look after children 2.5 and younger currently but when should children start to recognise their name written down? What do you all do to encourage this in your setting? Do you have name tags up anywhere? I've heard children start pre-school (or is it school?!) not able to recognise their name so dont know where to hang their coat!

Pixie dust
22-11-2016, 09:12 AM
I have a self registration board which is just some laminated card which says "who is here today?" The children put their name up on the board, the younger ones have a photo with their name too then as they get older 3/4 years and start to recognise their own name they just have their name without their photograph. At our local school the reception children have to put their name up on the board for packed lunch/school dinner etc so they need to be able to recognise their name ready for school. One of my 4 year olds can write her name .

FloraDora
22-11-2016, 12:47 PM
When they scribble or do art, make things I always label them with their name so they get lots of opportunities to see me writing it and to see their name. I don't have signs up or labelled things generally apart from their photo and name that they turn around on arrival. I have little metal trays and I put their name on a piece of paper inside and match magnetic letters - the very LO's have always had their own tray alongside their older siblings so like to copy the activity, which is really initially just playing with the letters...and then matching some/ all.
I have made little games where we find our names on shapes and photos and collect them like Easter egg hunts, both in the house and outside.
Letters from our resident fairies and pixies always have the child's name written with sparkly embellishments.
DH makes biscuits and cakes and pizzas with their initial on it.
We label seeds planted with their names on pots, trays troughs etc...
My own children started to recognise their names via Christmas/ birthday present gift labels.
I made a car track in the shape of one little boy's name - got the idea from Pintrest

Any opportunity to play around names, slowly drip feeds that their name can also be written down, then they slowly start to recognise, initial letter ...then their name. It's lovely when they do!

Pixie dust
22-11-2016, 02:18 PM
I have a self registration board which is just some laminated card which says "who is here today?" The children put their name up on the board, the younger ones have a photo with their name too then as they get older 3/4 years and start to recognise their own name they just have their name without their photograph. At our local school the reception children have to put their name up on the board for packed lunch/school dinner etc so they need to be able to recognise their name ready for school. One of my 4 year olds can write her name .

Just wanted to add that we do a lot of the same types of things as FloraDora it's a natural progression, the little one who can write her name only has 4 letters and 2 of then are the letter 'L' so not too tricky.

hectors house
23-11-2016, 09:39 AM

I do this too - child has a name card with a picture on - something that starts with same sound as their name eg: Charlie = Chicken picture but with Charlie written under picture. When they are older I turn the cards over so it only says their name.

mumofone
25-11-2016, 08:18 PM

How does that work PD? DO the childrens name cards have velcro or something on the back?

Maza
25-11-2016, 08:31 PM
How does that work PD? DO the childrens name cards have velcro or something on the back?

I don't know how PD does it but I bought a roll of magnetic tape off amazon. I stuck some on the back of the name cards and the children would come in find their name card and stick it on my fridge.

Pixie dust
25-11-2016, 10:04 PM

Yes they have velcro on the back then there are velcro squares on the board to stick the names on too. Both the card and names are laminated.

mumofone
27-11-2016, 08:46 PM
I don't know how PD does it but I bought a roll of magnetic tape off amazon. I stuck some on the back of the name cards and the children would come in find their name card and stick it on my fridge.

Great idea, thanks Maza! :-)

mumofone
27-11-2016, 08:47 PM
Yes they have velcro on the back then there are velcro squares on the board to stick the names on too. Both the card and names are laminated.

Thanks PD. You guys are all so clever! :)

hectors house
29-11-2016, 01:07 PM
I just use blu tac on my registration board - children choose their name card and stick it up, we then do Calendar (day, date, month), weather together - I also have printed off cards with photos of the actual toys, children can choose a toy / box of toys and I fetch it from garage toy store.