PDA

View Full Version : Kids plant pots/planters - recommendations needed!

mumofone
17-11-2016, 09:01 PM
I saw some lovely plastic coloured childrens plant pots online a while back but cant find them anywhere now, I'm looking for some nice plastic colourful plant pots or a planter or something for the children. Alternatively I have some big brown plastic pots that I would be happy to paint but not sure what paint i can use for plastic that's outside, can anyone make any recommendations? thank you :blush:

FloraDora
17-11-2016, 09:23 PM
Enamel paints are good for outside and for plastic.... But I don't bother with painting pots unless it's summer and terracotta. Spend time on planting than painting...it's what's in the pots that matters ..pansies, violas, cyclamen are good for this time of year and into winter....as are evergreens.
I know painting adds a dimension to the planting activities, but sometimes I think it's just for something to do linked with outdoors. Cover the table with newspaper, have trays filled with compost, and plant up small tubs with natural flowers....they will look lovely in plain brown tubs.

mama2three
18-11-2016, 09:48 AM
or dont use pots...old wellies , teapots , whatever youve got handy (or spot in the charity shop)

Maza
18-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Do you mean for you to paint or for the children as an activity?

Funnily enough I read an article about painting plant pots the other day. It said that it opens children's eyes to art which may be outdoors. There are some stunning plant pots with a whole variety of designs on them for sale or out in the environment, stately homes etc. so I think it is a lovely activity to do with the children. I love to give them as many different canvases (sp?) as possible, and 3D canvases especially.

Having said that, I prefer earthy shades in the garden, with brighter colours coming from flowers or berries, but that's just my opinion. In one school where I worked the infant classes were named after colours and in the playground each class had a big square planter painted in their colour - they each went to the garden centre to find plants of their colour to put in the planters. They looked lovely although they did look like they belonged in a school - I wouldn't want them in my garden because they wouldn't help me switch off at the weekend - it would just make me think of kids and I need my calming nature fix in my garden/sanctuary! I'm a bit extreme though, I don't even like wind chimes because it interferes with me hearing natural sounds (along with the police sirens, builder's radios blaring etc, lol). I'm not very creative though - I know other people make it look stunning.

How big do you want them? Baker Ross do little plant pots specifically designed for decorating by children - not sure what the quality is like though. For Father's Day we bought a big chilli plant for DH and DD decorated the pot using glass pens - it was typical cheap plastic terracotta coloured plant pot and we just love it now - all her design of course - we wouldn't love it if it had been prescriptive art (if you see what I mean).

Haven't answered your question at all, sorry!

mumofone
20-11-2016, 08:41 PM
Do you mean for you to paint or for the children as an activity?

Funnily enough I read an article about painting plant pots the other day. It said that it opens children's eyes to art which may be outdoors. There are some stunning plant pots with a whole variety of designs on them for sale or out in the environment, stately homes etc. so I think it is a lovely activity to do with the children. I love to give them as many different canvases (sp?) as possible, and 3D canvases especially.

Having said that, I prefer earthy shades in the garden, with brighter colours coming from flowers or berries, but that's just my opinion. In one school where I worked the infant classes were named after colours and in the playground each class had a big square planter painted in their colour - they each went to the garden centre to find plants of their colour to put in the planters. They looked lovely although they did look like they belonged in a school - I wouldn't want them in my garden because they wouldn't help me switch off at the weekend - it would just make me think of kids and I need my calming nature fix in my garden/sanctuary! I'm a bit extreme though, I don't even like wind chimes because it interferes with me hearing natural sounds (along with the police sirens, builder's radios blaring etc, lol). I'm not very creative though - I know other people make it look stunning.

How big do you want them? Baker Ross do little plant pots specifically designed for decorating by children - not sure what the quality is like though. For Father's Day we bought a big chilli plant for DH and DD decorated the pot using glass pens - it was typical cheap plastic terracotta coloured plant pot and we just love it now - all her design of course - we wouldn't love it if it had been prescriptive art (if you see what I mean).

Haven't answered your question at all, sorry!

Just for me to paint so they look more "kiddie friendly" if you know what i mean!
Im with you and flora really but always feel pressure for things to look a certain way because im a childminder! I was going to go for bright mr tumble esque spots but that wouldnt be my own choice if you get what i mean!