PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted getting a grilling on TV.

Mouse
15-11-2016, 08:23 AM
I never have the TV on in the morning, but turned it on earlier to check a programme had recorded last night.

I caught an article about safety in nurseries. Did any of you see it? I didn't see much of the footage from the nursery they were investigating, but I did see their interview with Gill Jones from Ofsted. Much as I dislike Piers Morgan's interviewing style, I have to say, he really did give her a good grilling and she had no answers at all.

From what I saw it wasn't an article slamming childcare (even though the nursery looked bad) but was showing how ineffectual and unreliable Ofsted reports are. At last someone else is saying what many of us have said for years!

mumofone
15-11-2016, 09:46 PM
I just searched online to find what you were talking about mouse.

I'm not in the least but surprised by what they uncovered - although I am not digging at nurseries only I think it would be true if you went undercover with CM's too. Its worrying :-(

GMB Investigates: Are nurseries safe? | GMB Investigates (http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/investigations/gmb-investigates-are-nurseries-safe)

FussyElmo
16-11-2016, 10:13 AM
I never have the TV on in the morning, but turned it on earlier to check a programme had recorded last night.

I caught an article about safety in nurseries. Did any of you see it? I didn't see much of the footage from the nursery they were investigating, but I did see their interview with Gill Jones from Ofsted. Much as I dislike Piers Morgan's interviewing style, I have to say, he really did give her a good grilling and she had no answers at all.

From what I saw it wasn't an article slamming childcare (even though the nursery looked bad) but was showing how ineffectual and unreliable Ofsted reports are. At last someone else is saying what many of us have said for years!

But is there a way of changing it? From what I understand the nursery was graded good and then let their procedures/standards slip.

Mouse
16-11-2016, 11:37 AM
But is there a way of changing it? From what I understand the nursery was graded good and then let their procedures/standards slip.

No, I don't see how there's much anyone can do about it and that's my point. A setting can be graded good on the day either because they fully deserve it or because they put on a convincing act for the day. In either situation they can let standards slide and end up really under performing in a short space of time. The inspection report is therefore meaningless if taken as proof of how bad or good a setting is.

Mouse
16-11-2016, 11:43 AM
I just searched online to find what you were talking about mouse.

I'm not in the least but surprised by what they uncovered - although I am not digging at nurseries only I think it would be true if you went undercover with CM's too. Its worrying :-(

GMB Investigates: Are nurseries safe? | GMB Investigates (http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/investigations/gmb-investigates-are-nurseries-safe)

I'm not surprised either. I don't think anyone could deny it happens. I know people who work in nurseries and some of the tales they tell are quite horrifying.

FussyElmo
16-11-2016, 12:06 PM
No, I don't see how there's much anyone can do about it and that's my point. A setting can be graded good on the day either because they fully deserve it or because they put on a convincing act for the day. In either situation they can let standards slide and end up really under performing in a short space of time. The inspection report is therefore meaningless if taken as proof of how bad or good a setting is.

I actually felt sorry for her she probably knows it's an impossible system. But anything that relies on checks on this scale will be.
They have had their budget cuts so can't afford to check settings more frequently. They certainly don't have the manpower either.
They have you rely on people whistle blowing :-( :-( :-(

Mouse
16-11-2016, 12:48 PM
I actually felt sorry for her she probably knows it's an impossible system. But anything that relies on checks on this scale will be.
They have had their budget cuts so can't afford to check settings more frequently. They certainly don't have the manpower either.
They have you rely on people whistle blowing :-( :-( :-(

I felt very uncomfortable watching it and I was particularly frustrated that Piers Morgan didn't even give her the chance to reply. I still don't think she had any answers (possibly because there aren't any answers for the questions he was asking) but I do think it showed how ineffectual Ofsted are at ensuring standards are upheld. It is an impossible job for them as they cannot see what happens on a day to day basis, so why why is so much importance placed on their snapshot judgements?

mumofone
16-11-2016, 08:02 PM
I was suprised by how unprepared she seemed considering she was going on prime time national morning telly to talk about a serious subject that will be close to many peoples hearts. I've never seen her before but she came over very ill prepared however hard the line of questioning from piers morgan.

mumofone
16-11-2016, 08:03 PM
I'm not surprised either. I don't think anyone could deny it happens. I know people who work in nurseries and some of the tales they tell are quite horrifying.

I want to ask, what but...I daren't!

hectors house
18-11-2016, 11:28 PM
I guess an Ofsted inspection is really like an MOT certificate (or driving test) in that it was passed as safe on the day in question but tomorrow or the next day who knows?