PDA

View Full Version : Xmas presents for mindees

mumofone
14-11-2016, 09:47 PM
I find giving Xmas presents to mindees so awkward in that I feel like I am spending parents money to buy their child a gift that they might not like/think is horrible/stingy/frivolous etc etc! I have under 2's, what dyou all do or give?

Maza
14-11-2016, 09:58 PM
Like many childminders I buy a pack of books from The Book People and separate them out as gifts. You can keep any left overs for your own collection or future gifts. I have also given one to my nieces too in the past and as I spend a bit more money on them I added some props from the story so that she could create her own small world scene based on the book (some small toy animals, toy Christmas tree, shaving foam etc).

BallyH
14-11-2016, 10:19 PM
I also give books from The Book People but buy individual books. I normally slip the present into their backpacks or book bags on their last day before Xmas.

loocyloo
14-11-2016, 10:31 PM
I also give books from The Book People but buy individual books. I normally slip the present into their backpacks or book bags on their last day before Xmas.

LOL... i too do book people books and put it wrapped, in their bag on their last day before Christmas.

I buy a variety of individual books and sets depending upon what I think will suit each individual child.

X

Dragonfly
15-11-2016, 07:18 AM
You really don't need to spend a lot. It's just a small gift to say happy Christmas.

Mouse
15-11-2016, 08:09 AM
I find giving Xmas presents to mindees so awkward in that I feel like I am spending parents money to buy their child a gift that they might not like/think is horrible/stingy/frivolous etc etc! I have under 2's, what dyou all do or give?

But it's not the parents' money, it's your money. When you buy something for yourself or your own family, do you think you're spending the parents' money? I can't imagine any of them would see a gift for their child as something they've paid for.

I usually give a book or some colouring things and a few sweets. I know some childminders chose to spend a lot, buying toys, clothes etc. It's lovely if you want to do that, but it's also lovely if you just want to give a token gift of a book. I prefer to spend my money on presents for family and friends and, much as I love the children I look after, they are neither family or friends. I spend a lot of my income on resources for them throughout the year, so don't feel guilty about not splashing out on them at Christmas.

mama2three
15-11-2016, 08:32 AM
This year im doing story baskets for the mindees , ive been collecting bits ( not even all new) to go with the gingerbread man story. they will go in a basket with a jar full of gingerbread ingredients to make at home . Another child is getting a transient art basket , with ribbons beads buttons and other arty bits . Ive also done the book people sets before , but as my mindees have all been here a long time I know they have so many books already , especially the julia donaldsons that i would normally buy. Also I used to buy them toys , but as my practise has transformed to more open ended and loose parts play than ''toy'' based I wanted my presents to reflect this and hopefully be a welcome break for parents from the mountain of plastic they all get!

BallyH
15-11-2016, 01:12 PM
My mindee told me today she wants a mobile phone for Christmas 'so I can do texting'. She is 3. She has older siblings. So I'm glad I did buy her a book and I do hope her parents will read it to her. Bless her.

It's a small world
15-11-2016, 02:06 PM
Marks and Spencer do a Alex scheffler ( the guy that illustrates the gruffalo) rhyming story book. Comes with a cd too about £8.. I've got my 16mth old this as they can look and listen with parent x on 2 for 3 offer so buy 2 books and get something same price for free that's 3 gifts for £16 x
http://www.marksandspencer.com/axel-scheffler-treasury-of-rhyming-stories/p/p22467876?prevPage=srp&pdpredirect

BallyH
15-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Marks and Spencer do a Alex scheffler ( the guy that illustrates the gruffalo) rhyming story book. Comes with a cd too about £8.. I've got my 16mth old this as they can look and listen with parent x on 2 for 3 offer so buy 2 books and get something same price for free that's 3 gifts for £16 x
Axel Scheffler Treasury of Rhyming Stories | M&S (http://www.marksandspencer.com/axel-scheffler-treasury-of-rhyming-stories/p/p22467876?prevPage=srp&pdpredirect)

Thanks for sharing. I'm like the 3for2 offer.