PDA

View Full Version : Mindee refusing to try and feed themself?

Jiorjiina
06-11-2016, 03:37 PM
I have a 1 year old mindee who is basically refusing to try eating food by himself.

He has no problems with picking things up and putting them in his mouth (literally everything except food goes in there of his own accord!), or drinking for himself, but the moment you try and get him to feed himself he stops, looks at the food in his hand and then throws it on the floor.

If I hold a spoonful or something in my hand he will move to eat it, he's happy to smush his hands in different texture things (we've done extra of this, just in case it was a sensory thing), and doesn't mind eating different textures (he has a slightly sensitive gag reflex, but that's a thing whether he feeds himself or I or his parents do it), he just won't take food in his hands and put it in his mouth.

He eats next to my other mindees at meals, all of whom happily feed themselves, but any ideas for how we can encourage him to do it for himself?

moggy
06-11-2016, 05:06 PM
Let him get on with it, leave him to it, and remove any attention if he throws it on the floor (is it becoming a game of throwing on the floor?). Comment on how everyone is eating nicely, lots of exaggerated 'yum yum' and model munching finger food yourself.
Is he hungry enough? or filling up on milk or snacks between meals?
His he just being lazy (used to being spoon fed?)
If he is hungry and physically able to put food in his mouth he should manage it in time.
Are you allowing enough time for him to have a bit of an explore of his food first?
Or maybe pass him one thing at a time, rather than a plate-full that might just turn into a squishing/dropping game.
Has be tried a fork, spoon? Veg sticks to dip?

watford wizz
06-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Iv just started with 2 new ones one is 14mnths and one 11mnths and neither would feed themselves but Iv just put small amounts infront of them, plus watching others and positive encouragement they are getting there. I don't worry about the mess or squishing food or spitting it out as this in my mind is all part of the learning/experimenting. Iv given them a limited menu to start with and will add new foods gradually along side those they know.