PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of a re launch

windles
04-11-2016, 08:16 AM
So after almost a week of debating whether or not I was just having abit of a down phase and a long talk with my hubby I have decided to
continue childminding. I have lost my way recently and have been focusing way too much on all the negatives. I am now considering a complete overhaul of my setting and a relaunch of my logo etc for January what do you all think.

Susie.

hectors house
04-11-2016, 01:19 PM
Glad you are staying childminding - I think a relaunch may be a nice idea to boost your morale :thumbsup:

sarah707
04-11-2016, 05:19 PM
Excellent idea! Look at your documentation as well and make sure you are not doing too much - if it's dragging you down then you won't have time for the fun :D

JCrakers
07-11-2016, 10:50 AM
I think everyone has their down days. I went through a phase of about 6-8months hating my job. Everything had become a chore, I had stress at home which I wasn't dealing with alongside my job. I was just going through the motions and waiting for an opportunity to find something else. But I couldn't find a good time to stop and felt I would let everyone down who had been here years.

Then the summer came, I had a few children leave in July/Aug and a lot of new children starting which spurred me into looking at the positives. My problem is that I'm not able to relax during work hours, I feel like I'm not at home and don't even go into my lounge in the daytime as I can't be seen 'slacking off'. I feel like I have to be doing something all the time and feel lazy by sitting down feeding a baby a bottle!! I'm trying to relax more but its hard.

Ofsted is also a negative with me and I was down after my inspection, even though it was good, it wasn't perfect so I find that hard to handle.

An overhaul is a great idea and it may give you the freshness that you need.:thumbsup::D

hectors house
07-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Your post actually inspired me to send parents an e-mail telling them I was putting my fees up - I had got a bit lazy and was coasting through the day, but now I feel I have to try a bit harder to be worth my hourly increase.

windles
07-11-2016, 05:29 PM
Thank you everyone.
I am feeling more positive its so hard to get dragged down with this job everyone thinks we have it so
easy and the reality is very different.

Sue.

mumofone
07-11-2016, 08:24 PM
Your post actually inspired me to send parents an e-mail telling them I was putting my fees up - I had got a bit lazy and was coasting through the day, but now I feel I have to try a bit harder to be worth my hourly increase.

What have you gone from and to with your charges HH? Were parents ok with it?
I daren't put mine up because of those days where i coast! ;-0

mumofone
07-11-2016, 10:28 PM
I've noticed a lot of minders have recently put up their fees in my area. They seem to all do it en masse!

hectors house
08-11-2016, 09:48 PM
What have you gone from and to with your charges HH? Were parents ok with it?
I daren't put mine up because of those days where i coast! ;-0

I told parents that most childminders in our town had been charging £4.50 for a couple of years - I researched price of mid price Nurseries too and they seemed to be £5 an hour and £2.50 for a hot lunch - so I went with middle ground and put price up from £4.20 (been that for 2 years) to £4.40 and meal up to £2.00 (haven't ever increased that in 11 years). I offered one parent a small sibling discount as I didn't want her to think twice about going back to work next Summer - I wouldn't normally do sibling discount but as I will have 4 children (continuity of care - sibling baby) I can afford to give a small discount.

It's normally better to do small yearly or bi - annually increases rather than a large increase after more years.

loocyloo
09-11-2016, 11:48 AM
I told parents that most childminders in our town had been charging £4.50 for a couple of years - I researched price of mid price Nurseries too and they seemed to be £5 an hour and £2.50 for a hot lunch - so I went with middle ground and put price up from £4.20 (been that for 2 years) to £4.40 and meal up to £2.00 (haven't ever increased that in 11 years). I offered one parent a small sibling discount as I didn't want her to think twice about going back to work next Summer - I wouldn't normally do sibling discount but as I will have 4 children (continuity of care - sibling baby) I can afford to give a small discount.

It's normally better to do small yearly or bi - annually increases rather than a large increase after more years.

I say I do an annual fee increase, but actually do it every other year ... parents seem more accepting of bi annual increases!

My 'problem' is that on paper, I am already the most expensive cm in my area .. but I include all food. (And I'm the only outstanding cm) I aim to match closest outstanding day nursery in fees (or a touch under as they only offer session fees and I charge by hour! So I can be a touch cheaper!)