PDA

View Full Version : Suspected Autism

Jigsaw36
31-10-2016, 04:37 PM
Hi all, Been childminding since last October and I have a query relating how to advise a parent that I suspect her child may be showing signs of autism? She has already been told by some of her family members that they think her child is (a bit special).

When she spoke to me, I confirmed that I didn't know any other children that could do some of the things he does. I don't have any behavioral problems with this child.

Do I suggest that she does the online test and answers the questions about her son?

Any advice will be great.

sarah707
31-10-2016, 05:11 PM
Use the early years outcomes guidance to track the child - are there areas where he is not making 'typical' progress and needs extra support?

Those are what you can discuss with parents and consider targeted interventions.

Never diagnose a child however sure you are - just stick to the early years outcomes guidance... that's what we've been given to use to track progress xx

moggy
31-10-2016, 06:25 PM
What is autism? - NAS (http://www.autism.org.uk/about/what-is.aspx)
Reading up from reputable site is helpful, but after that then parent would be best going to GP, taking a list of concerns/behaviours.
You can certainly not diagnose and parent really won't be any wiser just guessing or worrying over something that might be nothing.
You say there are no behavioural problems, are there any 'negative' issues at all? If the child is not suffering any negative issues then there is not much needs doing- it is said that many people (if not all to some extent) or 'on the spectrum' but unless it is having a negative effect on your life it is not 'autism'. Autism does come with many benefits, of course, but the GP is unlikely to need to refer for help for that. If the child is gifted (as many on the spectrum are) then you can stretch and develop them using the EYFS (this is an EYFS child?) or ask your LA EY for support for gifted children.

How old is the child? Many behaviours that can seem to be typical of ASD are soon grown-out-of and looking back you realise it was nothing. On the otherhand, it could be something the GP can refer for and the family get support for. But the GP has to be the first stop.