PDA

View Full Version : 2 year check

mumofone
21-10-2016, 07:52 PM
I have a 2 year old mindee who's just passed their 2 year check by the HV. What do I do for my bit? Do I fill out a two year check paperwork (is any paperwork better regarded than some others?) and then what do I do with that paperwork? Child only attends my setting...

Mouse
21-10-2016, 09:09 PM
You normally do the 2 year check before they see the HV so that they can take it with them. The idea is that the HV has your input as well when they do their assessment (although from my experiences, the HV takes no notice of it anyway).

If the child has already had their HV check I would just do an assessment, give a copy to parents and leave it on file as Ofsted will want to see proof that you have done one.

moggy
22-10-2016, 07:46 AM
You normally do the 2 year check before they see the HV so that they can take it with them. The idea is that the HV has your input as well when they do their assessment (although from my experiences, the HV takes no notice of it anyway).

If the child has already had their HV check I would just do an assessment, give a copy to parents and leave it on file as Ofsted will want to see proof that you have done one.

Agreed- just make sure you title it something like 'progress check at 2 years old' so it is clear that is your statutory obligation completed. Get parent input into the report if possible, get parent to sign it. File it. If this is a new mindee then it can also count as 'starting points' or baseline or what you want to call it, no need to repeat yourself.

loocyloo
22-10-2016, 08:54 AM
in our area they do the 2 yr check as the childs turns 2!

so, the month before I ask parents to fill out a quick 'all about me form' and then I use that, along with my records to complete a very basic '2 yr check' with 1 or 2 sentences for each of the 3 prime areas, and a brief 'what family and I are working on' ( aka next steps ). I then aim to get that to the parents before the 2nd birthday!

which reminds me ... I have one turning 2 in December, so I'd better get thinking about it!

bunyip
22-10-2016, 08:57 AM
I believe Sarah has put a 2 year check template and guidance notes in the 'free downloads' section of this site.

Pacey used to do a downloadable 'toolkit' for 2 year check, but it's now a dead link. You'd need to call them to see if this ha been withdrawn or if it's just a matter of their chief webhead fixing the link.

FloraDora
22-10-2016, 09:50 AM
Our county calls them integrated reviews now.
I think each area of the UK seems to do things differently so you need to check what is expected of you apart from it's a statutory assessment check to do.

We have a specific system to use including us all using the same template, health visitors and childcare providers.
At the bottom of the flow chart which gives us the outline of the review process it states:

If the progress check at age two is completed after the health and development review:
 Discuss the health and development review with the parents/carers and look at the information in
the red book from the health visitor.[/[I]I]
 Contact the health visitor if there are any concerns highlighted from the progress check at age two.

So it is giving us a way forward if the HV has already completed their bit, this might be what you could do now?

Basically the expectation here is that we work together and colleagues have said the HV are now paying more attention to our contribution, though I haven't completed one yet under the new system.

FYI I've attached our flow chart - but this will probably not be the same for all areas.

https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/education/childcare/childcare/integratedreviews/Flowchart.pdf

moggy
22-10-2016, 12:37 PM
Our county calls them integrated reviews now.
I think each area of the UK seems to do things differently so you need to check what is expected of you apart from it's a statutory assessment check to do.

We have a specific system to use including us all using the same template, health visitors and childcare providers.
At the bottom of the flow chart which gives us the outline of the review process it states:

If the progress check at age two is completed after the health and development review:
 Discuss the health and development review with the parents/carers and look at the information in
the red book from the health visitor.[/[I]I]
 Contact the health visitor if there are any concerns highlighted from the progress check at age two.

So it is giving us a way forward if the HV has already completed their bit, this might be what you could do now?

Basically the expectation here is that we work together and colleagues have said the HV are now paying more attention to our contribution, though I haven't completed one yet under the new system.

FYI I've attached our flow chart - but this will probably not be the same for all areas.

https://www.staffordshire.gov.uk/education/childcare/childcare/integratedreviews/Flowchart.pdf

Interesting to see. Each area is so different with this subject. Nothing like this in our area.

Maza
22-10-2016, 01:49 PM
Interesting to see. Each area is so different with this subject. Nothing like this in our area.

Nothing like it in my area either.

blue bear
22-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Here we do ours after the health visitor has done their bit, we should take into account any concerns the h v has raised. Write it up and give to parent to share with hv if any concerns listed otherwise share with parent and keep copy in file.

mumofone
24-10-2016, 07:31 PM
thanks everyone :-) So a few lines for each area is ok, I am uploading into tapestry for the parents to view so hope thats ok.

moggy
24-10-2016, 07:39 PM
thanks everyone :-) So a few lines for each area is ok, I am uploading into tapestry for the parents to view so hope thats ok.

Don't lock it and then the parents can type in their comments in the Report in the Parent Comments box near the end. Lock it after it is complete.

mumofone
24-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Don't lock it and then the parents can type in their comments in the Report in the Parent Comments box near the end. Lock it after it is complete.

Oh, thank you - How do you lock it anyway?!

moggy
25-10-2016, 08:23 AM
Oh, thank you - How do you lock it anyway?!

Go to the child, go to the Reports section and look at the setting (wheel icon), just have a look around the options as it is all quite self-explanitory once you have a try and click around on things.

mumofone
07-11-2016, 08:23 PM
Do we have to do the refinement bit where we say what age bracket and whether they are emerging, developing or secure or just a written overview?

moggy
07-11-2016, 08:53 PM
Do we have to do the refinement bit where we say what age bracket and whether they are emerging, developing or secure or just a written overview?

No, I do not use refinements at all. It is all personal choice.