PDA

View Full Version : Cat among the pigeons!

madasahatter
10-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Thought I would throw this in for discussion as I am currently doing a OU assignment and I have just noticed that on page 20 of the statutory framework, section 3.8 and 3.9 it talks about written policies and procedures

3.8 Group providers will be expected to have written copies of any policies and procedures which are required, for example, to safeguard children or promote equality of opportunity. Providers should ensure that all members of staff have been given copies of these policies and procedures as part of their induction, and that they are explained to, and accessible to, all parents.
3.9 Schools will not be required to have separate policies for the EYFS provided that the requirements are met through their policies which cover children of statutory school age. Childminders will be expected to ensure that any assistants are aware of all policies and procedures, and that they are able to clearly define them for parents and others as and when requested. However, it will not be necessary for childminders to have written copies of these policies and procedures.

Does this mean that technically childminders don't need written policies and it's ok to have them in your head IYSWIM? Obviously good practice needs us to have them written down so that we can prove what we do to anyone who asks, bt it does ive the impresion that they are optional.

PS I am in the process of updating my policies etc and will continue to do so:littleangel:

Spangles
10-08-2008, 09:54 AM
I've read that before and thought the same thing. It doesn't make any sense does it!

Oh well!

sarah707
10-08-2008, 10:53 AM
It makes no sense whatsoever... of course childminders needs policies and procedures...

How do we prove to Ofsted how we work? How do we cover ourselves with parents if things go wrong? How do we state what we do in an emergency without an emergency procedure?

It's a dreadful mistake and the NCMA fought against it but nobody listened.

I have my policies and procedures in place and I intend to keep them there to protect myself and everyone else.

miffy
10-08-2008, 10:58 AM
We were advised at a recent network meeting to keep our policies in place.

I think it's Ofsted who have "made" us have written policies because that is what they have come to expect and it's one of the things mentioned when giving out good or outstanding grades. Years ago I never had any paperwork of this sort - it wasn't thought necessary.

I'm not saying I don't agree with having written policies - I think it's good practice.

Miffy xx

Wiggly
10-08-2008, 10:59 AM
I had my inspection last week and showed my inspector my policies/procedures. She said I would be surprised how many childminders don't have procedures in place and it is an issue. From that statement I would answer that policies/procedures need definitely to be written for all to see.

Wiggly
x

ajs
10-08-2008, 11:05 AM
We were advised at a recent network meeting to keep our policies in place.

I think it's Ofsted who have "made" us have written policies because that is what they have come to expect and it's one of the things mentioned when giving out good or outstanding grades. Years ago I never had any paperwork of this sort - it wasn't thought necessary.

I'm not saying I don't agree with having written policies - I think it's good practice.

Miffy xx

although when i asked at a network meeting why our county website couldn't have policies uploaded onto it like bromleys (so we could all share them)
i was told that policies would be phased out and childminders didn't need them any more (anne soar said it miffy :panic: )
how are we meant to know what we need to do we're only the ones who do the job not the ones who make the rules

Spangles
10-08-2008, 11:12 AM
That's ridiculous! Every company I have ever worked for has had policies and procedures in place and I think it's even more important for business' to do with care!

What about staff handbooks and health and safety books, etc. Also policies about customer care etc! That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a long time - phasing them out for childminders! How stupid! (Not you Mandy! Ha ha!)

Chatterbox Childcare
10-08-2008, 11:27 AM
I recently attended a policies and procedures training course put on by my network and they said that we do have to have policies but they don't have to be written.

At an inspection I think that we are nervous enough with Ofsted coming out and I for one would forget half of mine if I had to give them verbally.

I do my policies for myself as good practice but my parents are not really interested in them when I get them out.

Debbie :clapping: :clapping:

madasahatter
10-08-2008, 11:59 AM
I do my policies for myself as good practice but my parents are not really interested in them when I get them out.
I think you have a good point there Debbie. I know that my parent's aren't particularly bothered about all the 'officialdom'. When policies are updated they take their copy and sign to say they have read it whilst putting the unread sheet into their bag (and who's to say if they read it later?). They are definitely more concerned with what their child has been doing all day. In fact one did say the other day that she thought most of paperwork I had been sending out lately was unnecessary and it's all common sense.

Heaven Scent
10-08-2008, 02:11 PM
We are not legally obliged to have written policies however how are we to protect ourselves in the event of a dispute if we don't have them - I know its a huge faff but if we all get it into our heads it a means of protecting ourselve, our families and our homes then we will all see the point in doing them. - I'm sure that without having them written down a minder shour still achieve a satisfactory but if theyare written down then we increase our chances of achieving a higher grade.

EllieF
10-08-2008, 02:17 PM
In the EYFS it does state that childminders do not have to have written policies, but i know I go blank under pressure so just could not do without them!
Ellie

miffy
10-08-2008, 05:24 PM
although when i asked at a network meeting why our county website couldn't have policies uploaded onto it like bromleys (so we could all share them)
i was told that policies would be phased out and childminders didn't need them any more (anne soar said it miffy :panic: )
how are we meant to know what we need to do we're only the ones who do the job not the ones who make the rules

Another case of the left hand not knowing what the right hand is saying then!!! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Rach30
10-08-2008, 07:26 PM
Technically we have never leaglly needed them , tho how we would operate without them is beyond me ! When i had my inspection i was also told that many CM do not have them , therefore she was impressed with my mountain of them :blush: . But having that line in EYFS saying we dont need them just goes to show that CM are STILL not regarded as highly as other child care settings. Its like saying "oh its ok , you little people on your own dnt need them , cos your just playing at it". Well tbh i think we need them more so than bigger settings purley cos we are on our own iyswim , makes me mad :angry: