PDA

View Full Version : Moving to online

Ellisha
12-10-2016, 07:02 AM
When any of you moved from paper based learning journal to an online one how did you do your starting points? Are they from when the child started with you or the point at which you moved systems? I'm wondering if it's a lot of work initially to move over.

moggy
12-10-2016, 07:18 AM
No your old system still stands and the new system just takes over from one point in time. No need to go back and re-create the old records. There will always be a slightly messy transition period where children started on the old system and finish on the online system, but that's life and soon as you have new children start they will all be online.
So the transition period children won't have starting-at-your-setting starting points online... but you can work around that. Or you set 'starting online starting points', it is up to you how you manage it.

hectors house
18-10-2016, 12:07 PM
I just made my first observation title "EYFS statements achieved prior to starting Tapestry" and ticked off everything I had already marked off in my tracker. It just stopped Tapestry generating "next steps" that didn't apply.

Ellisha
18-10-2016, 01:26 PM
I just made my first observation title "EYFS statements achieved prior to starting Tapestry" and ticked off everything I had already marked off in my tracker. It just stopped Tapestry generating "next steps" that didn't apply.

Thanks both of you. Did you just tell parents you were moving online or ask whether they were OK with it?

moggy
18-10-2016, 01:40 PM
Thanks both of you. Did you just tell parents you were moving online or ask whether they were OK with it?

I did a trial first with 1 willing parent. Went well so rolled out to all, all loved the idea no one had any concerns about it. It is now my standard way of working, explained right from the first interview with prospective parents. It is not optional here!

samb
18-10-2016, 05:58 PM
I do the same as others - just continue online from now on. I use bbdays and I also just ticked through corresponding points just so the tacker was correct. Yes it took a while to set all up but once it was done it is so much quicker and easier and more enjoyable that it was worth it. I also started as a trial. I tried 3 different ones and went with bbd just as I could use it for much more than just learning journey.

It's also not optional here however if parents don't engage with the diaries then I provide in a different format to suit them but I don't tell them that I just change how I work with them when necessary.

hectors house
18-10-2016, 09:15 PM
I told them I was changing to Tapestry and made this permission form the first observation, explaining why I was using it and getting them to sign to say they wouldn't share group photos.

"I have invested in a subscription to use Tapestry on Line Learning Journals so I can record your child’s learning and development and share all the information gathered with you as parents and if you wish any other members of the child’s close family.

These records will be available for you to look at on-line at any time you wish. As I update the learning journal you will get a notification via an e mail and you can go on and see what we have been doing.

On occasions, such as Ofsted inspections, I will be asked to share the files of your child to prove I am working to the EYFS framework that all Childcare professionals have to uphold.

Please feel free to add any comments you have about your child’s day on the Journal or if you have a photograph of your child that relates to their learning or just shows them having a fun time, this can be added too.

When your child moves on to school or to another child care setting I will give you the Learning Journal downloaded as a PDF to share with the school and for you to keep and to share with your child.

I hope you enjoy seeing how your child is cared for, the activities we do and the outings we go on while your child is in my care.

Permission for Tapestry on Line Learning Journal
I give permission for xxxx @ Hector’s House to share information regarding my child’s learning, development and experiences with others who are involved in their care in order to help them compile an all-inclusive picture of my child. Eg: Nursery key workers, other Childminders or Reception teachers

I agree not to share any photographs or videos gathered on Tapestry that includes any other child but my own on any social media web sites.

Please write a comment in the reply box below to acknowledge receipt of this letter, giving permission for information about your child to be stored on a Tapestry on-line journal and confirming that you agree not to share any group photos or videos."