PDA

View Full Version : Ratios

lindsay.butler
08-10-2016, 07:13 AM
Hi All,

I am looking for some help please

My son is 3 1/2 and has started pre-school in September

Can you please let me know if I need to include him in my ratio whilst he is at pre-school?

Thanks All

FloraDora
08-10-2016, 07:54 AM
I am sure you do, though I expect someone will come along with a definate answer.
Your son may not always be at preschool, illness, school closure or holidays may cause him to be at home and therefore part of your numbers.

lindsay.butler
08-10-2016, 08:20 AM
I am sure you do, though I expect someone will come along with a definate answer.
Your son may not always be at preschool, illness, school closure or holidays may cause him to be at home and therefore part of your numbers.

thank you, but my husband would look after him in such circumstances? In which case I wouldn't need too?

sarah707
08-10-2016, 08:45 AM
This guidance says that when children are not on the premises we don't have to include them in ratios -

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2015/03/Childminder_Ratios_FAQ.pdf

However, you will need to risk assess how you will get back to ratio if they return home unexpectedly and during holidays :D

bunyip
08-10-2016, 01:46 PM
thank you, but my husband would look after him in such circumstances? In which case I wouldn't need too?

I wouldn't be too sure of that.

The main reason I got MrsB listed as my assistant was that we needed to be able to look after our grandchildren at any time (DD works shifts/)

I asked Ofsted if we could divide the task such that I looked after mindees whilst MrsB looked after the grandchildren, and was told "no". If they were on the premises, then I was classed as responsible for them and had to count them in my ratio.

Tbf, this was back in the days when you could ask Ofsted and question and get an answer that wasn't "refer to EYFS." :p

sarah707
08-10-2016, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't be too sure of that.

The main reason I got MrsB listed as my assistant was that we needed to be able to look after our grandchildren at any time (DD works shifts/)

I asked Ofsted if we could divide the task such that I looked after mindees whilst MrsB looked after the grandchildren, and was told "no". If they were on the premises, then I was classed as responsible for them and had to count them in my ratio.

Tbf, this was back in the days when you could ask Ofsted and question and get an answer that wasn't "refer to EYFS." :p

It's not really changed - we had a member of our IC Facebook group who was recently actioned by Ofsted because dad was looking after their children in the same house as mum was childminding with full ratio - Ofsted said that the children were playing together therefore the childminder was out of ratio...

Not something we'd recommend...

lindsay.butler
10-10-2016, 09:07 AM
This guidance says that when children are not on the premises we don't have to include them in ratios -

http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/files/2015/03/Childminder_Ratios_FAQ.pdf

However, you will need to risk assess how you will get back to ratio if they return home unexpectedly and during holidays :D

it does state

'Must a childminder’s own children always be included in the ratios?
Yes, unless they do not have care of their own children during the time they are minding other children (e.g. when the child is at school or with another childcare provider). The maximum number of six children that a childminder can care for must include the childminder’s own children. If for any reason the arrangements made to care for their own child fails, the childminder must still maintain the correct ratios.'