PDA

View Full Version : Inspection finding

mumofone
05-10-2016, 06:29 PM
I have seen the following worded in various different ways on inspection reports and wondered what exactly ofsted are looking for with this finding -
"The childminder does not build on many opportunities to teach children about some of the things that make them similar and different to other people" and
"Children do not have enough opportunities to increase their knowledge and understanding of differences and similarities, such as between themselves and others in the wider society"

Does anyone know?!

moggy
05-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Look at DM - UW - People & Comm, comes up again and again there. Lots of notes in the 2nd and 3rd column too.

sarah707
05-10-2016, 06:48 PM
We have a book we have made ourselves with photos of children from all over the world - and the children in our provision ... it teaches children about similarities and differences when we read through and chat about the pictures :D

mumofone
06-10-2016, 08:56 PM
Thank you, i have lots of items that reflect diversity I wonder if that's enough...

Maza
07-10-2016, 08:35 AM
Thank you, i have lots of items that reflect diversity I wonder if that's enough...

Think of how you could address this outside of your setting. Do you have a Hindu community near you? With Diwali coming up you could go and look in shop windows selling beautiful saris and festive sweets, diwas etc. Where I used to live the streets would be decorated with illuminations (if that's the right word). You could visit an Asian supermarket or market stall and try a new fruit or vegetable.

I have noticed that quite a few of the synagogues around here have playgroups. We used to go to one and there would be different items in the home corner that you wouldn't usually see in a non-Jewish household, so always a good discussion there. They would always include a song in Hebrew during carpet time.

We have a beautiful Buddhist temple just down the road and we are allowed to play in the grounds. Lots of things to point out there too. It's probably easier for those who live in big cities to have access to these things and I don't know where you're from but have a look around your community and you might be surprised at what you see. Do you have a Polish community or an Australian community? We have a little South African shop in our village and although it is small there is so much to point out in there. The children used to love popping in there.

It goes without saying that whenever we point out differences we highlight similarities too.

The Paralympics is also full of opportunities to discuss how some people have two legs, some people have one etc etc. I remember during the London Paralympics I had two half South African children in my setting and so we did a bit of work on Oscar Pistorious (sp) and talked about how wonderful he was. Oooops!

FloraDora
08-10-2016, 07:49 AM
I think children can take on board similarities and differences once they are aware of themselves.
An all about me focus naturally highlights how unique they are and that no two people are the same, which can lead to further diversity talks.
Start in your setting, then branch out to yours and their families and your community, then further .....
Under 4' s need lots of talk around what makes them special, what they like,don't like within the group of children at your setting, an atmosphere of acceptance and tolerance of each other as they play, everyone's opinion matters, they all might like different things, they know about their own similarities and difference within your little group and their family.
Alongside this your resources will broaden their knowledge and understanding of the world around them.

Everyday Experiences of our diverse world is dependent on the area you live and how diverse it is. I used to teach in inner city Birmingham which had a completely different mix to the predominantly white British town I live in now. Synagogues, mosques, temples, meeting houses and churches, culturally diverse food shops and clothing shops were every day life on the streets in Birmingham, this small town only has churches and co op supermarkets in their small community areas. So it is very important that we bring the diverse world out there to them here, because they do not see it in their everyday life.
Never the less daily walks out to the parks in our area expose the children to elderly people, disabled, other groups of children and families which is invaluable to prompt talk.
The inspector is not just looking at your resources, they will want to see evidence of similarities and differences as the children play, knowing about each other, your good role modelling, though the role model your setting offers in your small world diversity say or diverse characters in your books or art and craft will also show that you are promoting similarities and differences.

mumofone
11-10-2016, 07:05 PM
Think of how you could address this outside of your setting. Do you have a Hindu community near you? With Diwali coming up you could go and look in shop windows selling beautiful saris and festive sweets, diwas etc. Where I used to live the streets would be decorated with illuminations (if that's the right word). You could visit an Asian supermarket or market stall and try a new fruit or vegetable.

I have noticed that quite a few of the synagogues around here have playgroups. We used to go to one and there would be different items in the home corner that you wouldn't usually see in a non-Jewish household, so always a good discussion there. They would always include a song in Hebrew during carpet time.

We have a beautiful Buddhist temple just down the road and we are allowed to play in the grounds. Lots of things to point out there too. It's probably easier for those who live in big cities to have access to these things and I don't know where you're from but have a look around your community and you might be surprised at what you see. Do you have a Polish community or an Australian community? We have a little South African shop in our village and although it is small there is so much to point out in there. The children used to love popping in there.

It goes without saying that whenever we point out differences we highlight similarities too.

The Paralympics is also full of opportunities to discuss how some people have two legs, some people have one etc etc. I remember during the London Paralympics I had two half South African children in my setting and so we did a bit of work on Oscar Pistorious (sp) and talked about how wonderful he was. Oooops!

Lol at Oscar Pistorious!
Thanks Maza, unfortunately its not at all diverse where I am...I'm sure there is something if I really searched a bit further afield though.
I have paralympian happylands and have mentioned these in my SEF..

mumofone
11-10-2016, 07:06 PM
I think children can take on board similarities and differences once they are aware of themselves.
An all about me focus naturally highlights how unique they are and that no two people are the same, which can lead to further diversity talks.
Start in your setting, then branch out to yours and their families and your community, then further .....
Under 4' s need lots of talk around what makes them special, what they like,don't like within the group of children at your setting, an atmosphere of acceptance and tolerance of each other as they play, everyone's opinion matters, they all might like different things, they know about their own similarities and difference within your little group and their family.
Alongside this your resources will broaden their knowledge and understanding of the world around them.

Everyday Experiences of our diverse world is dependent on the area you live and how diverse it is. I used to teach in inner city Birmingham which had a completely different mix to the predominantly white British town I live in now. Synagogues, mosques, temples, meeting houses and churches, culturally diverse food shops and clothing shops were every day life on the streets in Birmingham, this small town only has churches and co op supermarkets in their small community areas. So it is very important that we bring the diverse world out there to them here, because they do not see it in their everyday life.
Never the less daily walks out to the parks in our area expose the children to elderly people, disabled, other groups of children and families which is invaluable to prompt talk.
The inspector is not just looking at your resources, they will want to see evidence of similarities and differences as the children play, knowing about each other, your good role modelling, though the role model your setting offers in your small world diversity say or diverse characters in your books or art and craft will also show that you are promoting similarities and differences.

Thanks flora, I only have 2's and under currently so its not something we can discuss as such but I try to show diversity in all my art/craft stuff and resources...

BallyH
11-10-2016, 09:26 PM
I would also consider the little things like how children have different or similiar facial expressions or reactions to situations. For example I have a little mirror and below a set of small cardboard books. They are a range of different books about feelings. I had them out on inspection day. The children got use to opening the books and 'reading' the simple cartoon drawings of sad, happy, hungry etc and 'pulling' that face in the mirror. We then chatted about 'look Johnny's sad face is like this but look yours, it is different, how?'. Showing they are experiencing the same emotion resulting in them being the same but different and that is all ok.

Maza
12-10-2016, 08:35 AM
I was thinking about Floradora's response - about children realising that they are unique and accepting/embracing differences in a smaller setting before you get out into the wider community. I had a little boy in my setting who was terrible for boasting about how good he was at everything - literally everything - and how his choices of things were better than other peoples' choices. Bless him, I don't think he even realised he was doing it and dad used to encourage/reinforce it, which drove me mad. Lovely family, and they didn't mean anything by it, but it was causing friction in the group.

I used to do lots and lots of work on differences and similarities in every day contexts, such as talking about our favourite meals - "Oh, X's favourite meal is macaroni cheese and Y's favourite meal is roast chicken, you both like such good food", or "X's favourite colour is blue and your favourite colour is red - aren't we lucky having all these lovely colours around us?" I used to make a point of pointing it out in the most random situations - one preferred walking on the sunny side of the street while one preferred the shade, one preferred horses the other preferred cats, and the list goes on. Me pointing this out became so embedded in my practice and was actually really educational for me - but it was driven by this particular child. If you don't have a situation like mine you could still point out/do activities around factual differences, like eye colour, likes and dislikes etc.

A really interesting thread.

mumofone
08-12-2016, 10:28 PM
We have a book we have made ourselves with photos of children from all over the world - and the children in our provision ... it teaches children about similarities and differences when we read through and chat about the pictures :D

What sort of information do you put in the book about the kids in your provision Sarah?