PDA

View Full Version : radiator risk assessment

Maza
29-09-2016, 03:59 PM
Now that the heating will be going on again soon, I was wondering how you all keep your little ones safe with regards to radiators.

I only really have one big long radiator that is exposed. It's in the dining room and they walk past it/play near it throughout the day. I do have a big 'rad pad' that I used to cover it with but it does take up a lot of room in my cupboard when not in use and I am debating whether or not to get rid of it. To be honest, I probably should keep it, but what do you all do?

loocyloo
29-09-2016, 04:12 PM
Sorry ... No use at all ... The radiator in playroom has wooden cover/top like a mantlepiece and is never turned on! Only other radiators are where the children don't go!
BUT I have aga in kitchen ... They all walk past it many times a day ... They learn from day one that it is HOT and they don't touch!

I would be more worried about a child falling and cutting/hitting themselves on edge of radiator than how hot it got.

Maza
29-09-2016, 04:36 PM
Sorry ... No use at all ... The radiator in playroom has wooden cover/top like a mantlepiece and is never turned on! Only other radiators are where the children don't go!
BUT I have aga in kitchen ... They all walk past it many times a day ... They learn from day one that it is HOT and they don't touch!

I would be more worried about a child falling and cutting/hitting themselves on edge of radiator than how hot it got.

Well yes, that's the other reason why I had a rad pad for that particular radiator. It padded the edges as it was in a particularly precarious place where the toddlers used to trip up over their own feet. Now we have added a couple of new pieces of furniture to that room, so the edges of the radiator aren't really a problem any more.

I know what you mean about them needing to learn not to touch hot surfaces - I would be more worried about them touching it absent mindedly while they were concentrating on their play, as it is right where they play.

sarah707
29-09-2016, 05:59 PM
We have thermostats on each of our radiators and check nobody has fiddled with them through the day - they don't get hot enough to burn anyone though we set the boiler lower :D

FloraDora
29-09-2016, 06:16 PM
Each of my radiators has an individual thermostat control so I put the ones in places exposed to LO's on enough to take the chill off, but OK to touch.
All the children know that radiators are not for touching...so much so that when my nearly walking child used the cold - never been switched on since April, radiator to hold on to to cruise the the other day in the hall - the 3 year old told him off!
The very exposed because two sides of the wall stick out and the third is shared with the garage downstairs toilet radiator
Is my biggest problem as it is right next to the toilet and the children lean on it sometimes to climb up and flush the toilet. I keep a big towel on it which allows some heat into the loo but the towel protects and doesn't slip because it is bath size.
My own boys grew up in this same house and I never gave them another thought then! The difference between parenting and childminding.

Mouse
29-09-2016, 06:26 PM
I keep our radiators on a low heat throughout the day, much to the annoyance of my family who are always complaining that it's cold!

In the playroom I've also got a toy box that I put in front of the radiator, although the children rarely go near it anyway.

singingcactus
30-09-2016, 11:00 AM
I just pop a fleece blanket over any exposed radiators. They have multiple uses so I don't resent their existence too much.

I'd love to say I keep mine on low, but I don't. I'm usually one of the first to put the central heating on. High.

Dragonfly
30-09-2016, 03:15 PM
I just pop a fleece blanket over any exposed radiators. They have multiple uses so I don't resent their existence too much.

I'd love to say I keep mine on low, but I don't. I'm usually one of the first to put the central heating on. High.

radiator covers