PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble finding a house to rent due to being a childminder :( Can anyone help?

Kerri1983
20-09-2016, 12:50 PM
Hi,
I have been renting my current house for three years and now they have decided to sell the property. Originally when i moved in i had difficulty with the estate agents as they wouldn't allow me to childmind in the property regardless of the fact the landlady had given permission. After many letters and determination they finally gave in but i do remember it being a difficult process.
i am facing this again now, as soon as i tell the agents i am a childminder they don't want to help me, they say it will effect the mortgage insurance and that its running a business from home.

Has anyone got any advice or information that can help my case? I know that lots of childminders rent houses so there must be a way.

Otherwise I will have to give up my profession which is a very sad thought

Look forward to your responses

Kerri

1sweetpea
29-09-2016, 03:38 PM
I rent, childmind, and have a dog and have just moved. My advice would be to put together a very professional letter with all the information in, that's what I did.

Eg
- You work and have a good income to pay the rent (I also put my partner's responsible sounding job in here too).
- Classed as working from home not as a business so no commercial rates involved on the property. (put this in bold)
- That you keep your home to a very high standard of cleanliness and maintenance as you are regularly inspected by Ofsted and food hygiene.
- What your ratios are (eg I said I work alone and keep my ratios low, pointed out it is like a young family that goes home each day not like a nursery load).
- That your contents insurance covers you for childminding and is listed on the contents policy
- That you have public liability insurance to the whatever amount your policy covers
- That you will happily pay a little extra on the security deposit if it makes landlord/landlady feel more secure
- That they are welcome to visit your current home to see the high standards you keep
- That they are welcome to ask you any further questions.

Hope that helps and good luck!

Another tip is get the list of all the local accredited landlords and email them your letter with your housing requirements. Going direct to the landlords rather than via an estate agent often helps. Also look for local housing rental facebook groups for your town, when I looked there were loads of groups for my town and landlords posted directly.