PDA

View Full Version : Tuff spot

mumofone
19-09-2016, 02:41 PM
How many of you have one of these? Are they worth it? I've been wondering whether to get one but are quite a pensive with a stand and take up a fair bit of space. I can't decide whether I "need" one or not!

Ellisha
19-09-2016, 03:04 PM
How many of you have one of these? Are they worth it? I've been wondering whether to get one but are quite a pensive with a stand and take up a fair bit of space. I can't decide whether I "need" one or not!

I bought one a few months ago without a stand and have hardly used it! Maybe I would if I had a stand. But it's quite big so probably too big for what I need. We normally used a storage tub for sensory play.

loocyloo
19-09-2016, 04:38 PM
I have a 'builders mixing tray' from DIY shop. I use it as a cover for the sandtable, we use it to build in, messy play, water play, sand play, collect leaves etc, zoom cars around, make dinosaur swamps, painting and a multitude of other activities. All outside. I used to use one inside for small world play, baby sensory play, containing lego/marbles/small games/puzzles etc, but DH 'borrowed' my old outdoor one for some 'vehicle/oil/engine' reason, and so I took my indoor one outside, and am waiting for DH to get me a new one, as promised about 18mths ago!

inside I now tend to use a large 'potting' tray from the garden centre, as it is a bit smaller, fits well on my small table, and has slightly higher sides!

Maza
19-09-2016, 06:04 PM
I don't have one but I would love one. If my DD was still a toddler I would definitely get one, but now I'm not sure I can justify the cost - does that sound bad?

Do the stands have adjustable heights?

Mouse
19-09-2016, 07:33 PM
Years ago, when we were given grants for outdoor equipment, I bought a tuff spot and stand. The stand was expensive, about £60. Now you can buy a tuff spot and stand from Amazon for £40.

I use mine a lot. I use it on the stand once children can stand, or on the ground when they're crawling. I only use it outside as it is quite big, but I do have smaller trays for indoors. For the tuff spot I've got various inserts including a mirror and a pad of paper the size and shape of the tuff spot.

To store it outside I dismantle the stand (easy to do) and hang the tuff spot on a hook on the side of the shed.

mama2three
20-09-2016, 06:25 AM
I have 2 and they are almost always in use for all the things loocyloo mentioned , today the outdoor one has shaving foam and waterbeads in for exploration , and the indoor one has lots of jar and bottle lids and magnets. I use them a lot more now we have new doors ...sounds strange but they wouldnt fit through the old doors without tipping on their side which was a real pain when cleaning up or moving them between indoors and outdoors. A favorite recent use was a loose parts waterfall which the children came up with ...one of the tuffspots has a small crack which allowed the water to trickle through so that one went on the stand and then they found guttering and empty tubs to let the water cascade down to the bottom tray. ( cant add a pic the files too big)

Depending how much space you have i would definitely recommend a tuffsot , although not necc the stand.

FloraDora
20-09-2016, 08:08 PM
I have had many a tuff spot in schools, lots of room - and you can get several children around them.
I have gone for the big garden tray alternative , like loocyloo at home. I have a few of various sizes some square and a long oblong. They are as deep as the tuff tray are - just thinner- but robust enough for the children that have experienced it here. Great for small world scenes and messy play - lots of ideas on Pinterest and Facebook.
I have a camping table that they can sit on, but we use them on the floor more, both out and in.
Water, syrynges, test tubes and droppers is a favourite use- coloured water - shallow enough not to make too much mess. I also use it for the perfume laboratory that is a regular activity.
It comes alive with small world scenes though.
Basically it's just a container to put things in which you can use other tray type things for too as tuff trays are big- great for larger groups though.

mama2three
21-09-2016, 06:07 AM
meant to say that i find one of the great things about the shallow lip on tuffspots is that the tinies happily crawl in and use all their bodies and senses to explore.

Mouse
21-09-2016, 07:14 AM
meant to say that i find one of the great things about the shallow lip on tuffspots is that the tinies happily crawl in and use all their bodies and senses to explore.

This summer I've used ours a lot with water in for the babies to crawl through and sit in. Obviously you still have to fully supervise them in water, but it's much more practical than setting up the paddling pool. I even put it at the bottom of the slide so they were coming down into water - they loved it!

loocyloo
21-09-2016, 09:25 AM
This summer I've used ours a lot with water in for the babies to crawl through and sit in. Obviously you still have to fully supervise them in water, but it's much more practical than setting up the paddling pool. I even put it at the bottom of the slide so they were coming down into water - they loved it!

I don't have a paddling pool ... but always use tuffspot for water!