PDA

View Full Version : Should the 30 hours funding be stopped?

sarah707
14-09-2016, 05:44 PM
this report says it should! https://www.pre-school.org.uk/news/2016/09/report-calls-government-scrap-30-hours-offer

I know a lot of childminders - and group providers - are very concerned about their continued sustainability if it goes ahead...

moggy
14-09-2016, 05:49 PM
Absolutely!

loocyloo
14-09-2016, 07:27 PM
Agreed .....

Dragonfly
15-09-2016, 06:31 AM
agreed also

watford wizz
15-09-2016, 07:31 AM
Yes please

FussyElmo
15-09-2016, 07:32 AM
this report says it should! https://www.pre-school.org.uk/news/2016/09/report-calls-government-scrap-30-hours-offer

I know a lot of childminders - and group providers - are very concerned about their continued sustainability if it goes ahead...

Honestly in my area no it would be welcomed.
It would put us on a level playing with school nurseries why send to a cm for 15 hours when you get 30 with a school nursery.
Come September there are very few 3 you funded unless they didn't get the school of their choice.
The rate of funding is on par too

mama2three
15-09-2016, 07:37 AM
Absolutely it should be stopped - but unlike almost every other provider I am not against it from a funding / sustainability perspective...Im against it for the gap its going to open up between children. Weve worked so hard over the last few years with disadvantaged 2 year olds to close the attainment gap by offering them 15 hours. Now many of those will still get 15 hours when they turn 3 , whilst their more affluent peers will get twice as much. Its the sole reason the government call it 30 hours childcare ...we all know that they are expecting us to teach , rightly so , but they cant admit to calling it education as education must be offered equally regardless of background.

it wont be stopped now though and the effects will be devastating.

loocyloo
15-09-2016, 11:20 AM
Absolutely it should be stopped - but unlike almost every other provider I am not against it from a funding / sustainability perspective...Im against it for the gap its going to open up between children. Weve worked so hard over the last few years with disadvantaged 2 year olds to close the attainment gap by offering them 15 hours. Now many of those will still get 15 hours when they turn 3 , whilst their more affluent peers will get twice as much. Its the sole reason the government call it 30 hours childcare ...we all know that they are expecting us to teach , rightly so , but they cant admit to calling it education as education must be offered equally regardless of background.

..Exactly.

JCrakers
15-09-2016, 12:06 PM
I can't believe that even parents who are earning upto £100,000 can receive it!! Why do they need 30hrs free childcare? Its ludicrous. Even the 15hrs free for some families is ludicrous. A family I used to work for had 2 really high paying jobs and they still got 15hrs free?!?!

On another note:
DH earned a few pounds over the child benefit limit and it was taken off of us...even though my wage is super c**p. But another family who earn £49k each still get it...but that's another gripe!! :mad:

FussyElmo
15-09-2016, 12:12 PM

It was done as a vote winner. Clearly not thought out in any way and now they are stuck with a system that many providers can't substain

loocyloo
15-09-2016, 01:50 PM
On another note:
DH earned a few pounds over the child benefit limit and it was taken off of us...even though my wage is super c**p. But another family who earn £49k each still get it...but that's another gripe!! :mad:

Don't even go there! I quite agree and yet, they have a different criteria for free childcare!

SYLVIA
15-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Should definitely be stopped. We have a preschool near me that's held in a church hall. They will be closing as they can't offer the 30 hours as the church won't let them have the hall any longer so parents are going elsewhere. A parent I work with went to visit a preschool as they suggested she put her child there from 9 to 3 instead of using me. When she asked what would she do for childcare after 3 pm the teacher just shrugged her shoulders. The extra hours just hasn't been thought through and is causing mayhem to childcare workers

mumofone
15-09-2016, 02:31 PM
Should definitely be stopped. We have a preschool near me that's held in a church hall. They will be closing as they can't offer the 30 hours as the church won't let them have the hall any longer so parents are going elsewhere. A parent I work with went to visit a preschool as they suggested she put her child there from 9 to 3 instead of using me. When she asked what would she do for childcare after 3 pm the teacher just shrugged her shoulders. The extra hours just hasn't been thought through and is causing mayhem to childcare workers

I hadn't thought of this...would they expect a childminder to pick up at 3 and do the remainder of the day.

watford wizz
15-09-2016, 02:47 PM
It's not to do with funding for me, I just can't bear the thought of so many tiny children going into large chain nurseries for so much of their early life.

FussyElmo
15-09-2016, 03:39 PM
It's not to do with funding for me, I just can't bear the thought of so many tiny children going into large chain nurseries for so much of their early life.

But wouldn't they be doing that if parents worked anyway?

hectors house
21-09-2016, 04:14 PM
I just can't see how it would be "policed" as the extra 15 hours are only for working parents - would we have to regularly see wages slips as proof that parent still has a job? Would we have to pay back funding if parent stopped working and didn't tell us and therefore no longer qualified. Agree with others that this wasn't thought through properly and was only intended to sway voters, just think of all the time and money that has been put into this half baked idea - what a waste of tax payers money, :panic:

moggy
21-09-2016, 05:18 PM
But wouldn't they be doing that if parents worked anyway?

No, this is to encourage more parents into work- those who would have stayed home with their children otherwise. Now it will be 'cheaper' to have childcare for 30hrs a week, therefore going to work will be more worthwhile financially... but of course no one considers if that is best for the child.

natlou82
21-09-2016, 08:20 PM
Looking forward to a briefing on this next week. I'm sure whoever came up with the idea is now regretting it. It's like when someone suggests shots on a night out and it seems like a great idea then you have the worst ever hangover. I'm sure if it goes ahead it will cause an huge hangover because I cannot see how it will work on many levels!

mumofone
21-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Looking forward to a briefing on this next week. I'm sure whoever came up with the idea is now regretting it. It's like when someone suggests shots on a night out and it seems like a great idea then you have the worst ever hangover. I'm sure if it goes ahead it will cause an huge hangover because I cannot see how it will work on many levels!

Haha love the analogy!

mama2three
22-09-2016, 06:22 AM
I dont suppose that same person is regretting it , it won them an election - but the people who actually have to work out the logisticswill be having a nightmare!
I just wish the media would see it for what it is , on the one hand today they are talking about nursery schools being under threat due to the policy ...yet they still call it childcare rather than education. I wish someone much cleverer and legal savvy than me would challenge this under the fact that the same education should be fairly available to ALL regardless of background.

Mouse
22-09-2016, 06:52 AM
I dont suppose that same person is regretting it , it won them an election - but the people who actually have to work out the logisticswill be having a nightmare!
I just wish the media would see it for what it is , on the one hand today they are talking about nursery schools being under threat due to the policy ...yet they still call it childcare rather than education. I wish someone much cleverer and legal savvy than me would challenge this under the fact that the same education should be fairly available to ALL regardless of background.

I've seen various references to the first 15 hours being for education and the second 15 for childcare. So all children are entitled to the 15 hours education, but only the children of working parents are entitled to the additional 15 hours childcare.

Mouse
22-09-2016, 06:57 AM
I just can't see how it would be "policed" as the extra 15 hours are only for working parents - would we have to regularly see wages slips as proof that parent still has a job? Would we have to pay back funding if parent stopped working and didn't tell us and therefore no longer qualified. :

In one of the trials being carried out they are only giving the extra 15 hours to parents who work for certain employers. I guess then the employer knows who can claim it and who can't. I suppose that's one way of policing it, but then not fair for parents who don't work for one of those employers.

mumofone
22-09-2016, 09:42 AM
Bbc are running another story on it, they seem to be almost weekly saying it's not feasible ,when do they eventually have to make a final decision....seems to be dragging on and on!!

mama2three
22-09-2016, 11:50 AM
I've seen various references to the first 15 hours being for education and the second 15 for childcare. So all children are entitled to the 15 hours education, but only the children of working parents are entitled to the additional 15 hours childcare.

We are inspected and assessed based on our teaching. On how much progress the child is making. That is education , not childcare , regardless of what is said. there is no such thing as 'just childcare' , we wont be able to disregard the eyfs for the second 15 hours , it is all just policyspeak.

Mouse
22-09-2016, 12:58 PM
We are inspected and assessed based on our teaching. On how much progress the child is making. That is education , not childcare , regardless of what is said. there is no such thing as 'just childcare' , we wont be able to disregard the eyfs for the second 15 hours , it is all just policyspeak.

I agree completely. I was just giving the 'justification' I had read for half the 3 & 4 year olds being forgotten about :(

One of my mums is already talking about using the 30 hours with me. How lovely if I was able to "teach" her child for 15 hours and only provide childcare for the other 15! I wonder how well that would go down with Ofsted. Of course, mum has failed to check that I will be offering the 30 hours. I reckon a few parents will be caught out when they assume they can have 30 hours free without actually checking whether or not her provider is going to offer it.