PDA

View Full Version : Potty training

tulikraska
13-09-2016, 07:25 AM
Hello all,

Would you do potty training with children if parents don't do it at home? We started potty training with two children but parents gave up and I don't know whether to continue. Is there point to do it in the setting? The children sit on potties but do not wee on it.

Thanks!

chris goodyear
13-09-2016, 08:06 AM
I only do it if parents and everyone else who cares for the child is on board. Not only is it confusing for the child but it will take so much longer if it's only done at your setting. It's often not the easiest of tasks and when you are minding others it's even harder.

sarah707
13-09-2016, 06:33 PM
My policy is that parents need to work on it for a week at home first and get their child pretty much sorted - then we support their child :D

BallyH
13-09-2016, 08:14 PM
I tell 'keen' parents that I am very willing to help and advise but if the child comes in a nappy, they stay in nappies.

loocyloo
13-09-2016, 09:48 PM
My policy is that parents need to work on it for a week at home first and get their child pretty much sorted - then we support their child :D

I agree, and that's what I do, but I recently had a LO ( almost 3 ) who decided he was going to use the potty at my house ... totally and reliably dry from word go for 9 hrs a day, 2 days a week. ( including sleeps! ) Fantastic! But at home ... forget it! Refused/tantrumed/ insisted on nappies etc! So we carried on using potty/toilet here and finally, about 2 mths later, he finally decided to use toilet at home!
I just had to go with the wishes of the child!

Dragonfly
14-09-2016, 06:35 AM
If its time for potty training i work with the parents. No point in doing in one place and not the other.