PDA

View Full Version : child psychology???????

kindredspirits
09-08-2008, 06:08 PM
:idea: does anyone have any experiance with child psychology? i'm adding it to the list of courses i want to do. we took my 18 month old son for a walk today, he was having a blast, laughing and running around. then he spotted a bench that he's sat on before. ran over to it - dh got there first to 'check it out' and sat down covering a small rust hole so george didn't hurt himself. this was followed by an almighty tantrum because george wanted to sit on that spot, or so we thought. after about 7 mins the tears stopped, he pulled dh off the bench and then pushed me off the bench. was happy as larry as long as we both stayed at least a meter away?!!?!? :eek:

when i sat down and told him to share, he walked off - when i followed after a distance, he ran back to the bench, but only if he thought i was far enough away not to come back.... this repeated about a dozen times before we had had enough.
hes normally a loving, sharing child - so why was he so possessive of a park bench?!?! the brain is amazing!! :D

flora
09-08-2008, 07:09 PM
I did it years ago at college, have slept since then so I can't explain the bench thing sorry :D

Was a fascinating subject, if I ever get the time would like to do more :thumbsup:

breezy
09-08-2008, 07:22 PM
no idea what his mind was up to!!!!!!!!!!!
maybe it was a power thing?!!!!!!!!!

Wiggly
09-08-2008, 07:27 PM
I've just completed Psychology on my Access course and found it really interesting - would love to do more of it when I get time.

We did touch on child psychology but not in depth enough to answer your question. My opinion would be wanting his own way like all kids do.

It's amazing how kids do become possessive of things and they change daily which is what really fascinates me but I can't explain it - sorry, not of much help really and I have really waffled on - lol.

Wiggly
x

Mags
09-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Did a little on child psychology but many many years ago.

Children of that age usually find it difficult to share and they see everything as "mine". Perhaps because he recognised the bench he saw it as "his" bench and keeping you away was his way of showing that he thought it belomged to him.

Like i said don't know much about the subject, but that would be my guess.

Bushpig
09-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Kids at that age are very self involved to an extent... and think everything is theirs/they have a hand in everything that happens.

My one little boy knows that when a dogs tail wags it means the dog is happy... and when one goes past him, and its tail is wagging he chirps 'I made the dog happy, his tail is wagging'. Reaffirming his importance in the world to an extent by putting claim to something. His little universe revolves around himself and what affects/touches him.

One of my new mums is a child psychologist and I am keen to have chats with her soon.