PDA

View Full Version : Earlier starts

mumofone
24-08-2016, 07:14 AM
I think this might have been mentioned on other threads but I have a new child who's parents are obviously contracted to start at a particular time. In the space of a month they've already requested 2 earlier starts by half an hour so it seems pety to deny them this. But today they dropped off and said "it'll be the same again next week if that's ok"!!! I couldn't believe the cheek of it and was taken aback so didn't address it there and then but how would you deal with this? Shall I just ask if they need to change their contracted start time or just say yes and invoice them on the next invoice?

mama2three
24-08-2016, 07:37 AM
I all depends whether you want to start earlier!
If youre happy to then yes , suggest a contract review.

If you'd prefer not to do it then an occasional 'no' works wonders and makes them think twice before just assuming !

moggy
24-08-2016, 07:41 AM
Exactly what mama2three said!

bunyip
24-08-2016, 08:44 AM
I all depends whether you want to start earlier!
If youre happy to then yes , suggest a contract review.

If you'd prefer not to do it then an occasional 'no' works wonders and makes them think twice before just assuming !

I agree.

Btw, I would not regard this

But today they dropped off and said "it'll be the same again next week if that's ok"!!!

as "cheeky." They've given you the option to say "no" if it's not ok, so they are not assuming.

JCrakers
24-08-2016, 08:51 AM
See....I would regard this as cheeky :laughing: To me they are assuming that it's ok next week because of the way its been asked. If they had said 'Would it be ok if I dropped early 1 day next week? That could have a ' 'No' response but to ask in a way that they've already answered their own question but put a little question mark on the end of it is a little cheeky :p

I start at 8am and in the past Ive done 7.45am starts regularly on a Thursday for 1 family. I have done 1 7.30am but wouldn't agree to it anymore than once or twice. My response when the parent asked for the 7.30am start was 'Well, I don't usually start before 8am, but just this once for you'. She then knew that I was doing it as a favour and it wouldn't be a regular thing :thumbsup:

bunyip
24-08-2016, 09:12 AM
I certainly don't want to fall out over the definition of "cheeky". Can we stay friends and agree to disagree (on the basis that I'm ol'-fashioned and confess I'm way out of touch with modern manners) ? :p

To be fair, I've probably made a living out of fulfilling service demands that a fair number of CMs would consider cheeky. But we all have our limits, and I daresay I'll be back on here before long to complain about a "cheeky" request that another CM would consider perfectly reasonable. :o

JCrakers
24-08-2016, 09:22 AM
I certainly don't want to fall out over the definition of "cheeky". Can we stay friends and agree to disagree (on the basis that I'm ol'-fashioned and confess I'm way out of touch with modern manners) ? :p

To be fair, I've probably made a living out of fulfilling service demands that a fair number of CMs would consider cheeky. But we all have our limits, and I daresay I'll be back on here before long to complain about a "cheeky" request that another CM would consider perfectly reasonable. :o

Go on then...we'll stay friends! :p

FloraDora
26-08-2016, 09:04 PM
I only have teachers as parents- but the issues in teaching, academies etc mean that even teachers are going in earlier and earlier - it does seem to be that the work place is moving towards earlier starts ...and I think whilst nurseries do not offer early starts generally this is an issue that is becoming more linked with childminders.
It seems to me that in order to keep in business against nurseries is that childminders have to be 'more flexible' and offer earlier starts and later finishes.
This is not my ideal, but I can see that it is something I have to move with the times with. Commuters too have issues around dropping their children off ....I have a family who, because of a change in job and longer travelling, I am sure will need an earlier start, I am bracing myself for this. Luckily I am an early riser. I am usually up, set up,and completed an early morning walk and coffee over the news session by 7am - but this is my favourite time of day....how much of it am I willing to sacrifice to hep out the parents??
Mumofone highlighted an article in another thread about childcare costs - it seems that the families who need what I consider unsociable hours also cannot really afford the childcare costs. I spoke to an enquiry this week who balked at my costs - I had to blazenly blow my own trumpet and eventually found myself saying that If the costs were too high then she needed to look at other options as if she wanted quality childcare, unfortunately quality does come at a cost.....I am in a position as my childcare business is not my main income, to pick and choose...but I totally sympathise with those who are struggling to fill their places and then have to consider different hours to their original policy.
I see the future of childminding being in providing childcare for the unsociable hours sector, in a complex mix of part timers.....long gone are the days of 8.30 - 5 - 5 days a week !