PDA

View Full Version : EYFS tracker question

mumofone
18-08-2016, 07:45 PM
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me (as always!)...
I have an EYFS individual tracking sheet to track where each of my mindees are. As you know, the tracking is broken down into birth-11 months then 8-20 months and so on until they hit their Early Learning Goal based on EYO.
So for the babies I'm looking after (1 year olds) they are doing some or most things in the birth-11 months section but also some in the 8-20 months section so my question is how do i record this exactly? Do I just date both boxes to show that as of the date I am assessing them (Today!) that they are showing signs from both age sections?
Also, I know we are not supposed to use EYO as a tick list so at what point do I satisfy myself that they are displaying typical/on target behaviour fo rthe age group?
Hope this all makes sense!

Maza
18-08-2016, 08:41 PM
It's perfectly normal for all children to be achieving things from two age brackets - as you know they don't learn things in a particular order. So they don't have to have achieved/accomplished every single thing from one age bracket before you plan activities/experiences to help them achieve things in the next age bracket. Obviously you're not going to be teaching them to run before they can walk but you know what I mean.

I just go with a best fit. From how you describe it seems that your babies are currently working within the expected age range.

sarah707
21-08-2016, 08:08 PM
I wrote this the other day it might be relevant :D

Early Years Outcomes is not a tick list..! - Independent Childminders (http://independentchildminders.weebly.com/blog/early-years-outcomes-is-not-a-tick-list)

moggy
21-08-2016, 08:31 PM
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me (as always!)...
I have an EYFS individual tracking sheet to track where each of my mindees are. As you know, the tracking is broken down into birth-11 months then 8-20 months and so on until they hit their Early Learning Goal based on EYO.
So for the babies I'm looking after (1 year olds) they are doing some or most things in the birth-11 months section but also some in the 8-20 months section so my question is how do i record this exactly? Do I just date both boxes to show that as of the date I am assessing them (Today!) that they are showing signs from both age sections?
Also, I know we are not supposed to use EYO as a tick list so at what point do I satisfy myself that they are displaying typical/on target behaviour fo rthe age group?
Hope this all makes sense!

Yes- you can date boxes in 2 different age bands as they overlap so much.

Checking they are 'on target': it is a 'best fit' you are looking for. So I read ALL the statements in an age band and ask myself- is this child basically here? if not, read the whole of the age band below and ask yourself the same question. It is likely they are part way between 2 bands as they overlap so much and because the lists are NOT tick lists of everything a child does in order! You may decide a 12mth old child is 'on track' in their development because you see they are doing MOST of 0-11 (not necessarily ALL) with some areas moving into 8-20. There may be one or two statements in an age band that they never really do, or do much much later, and that is fine- it is the over all 'best fit' in an age band that counts, not a 100% ticking of the boxes!

FloraDora
21-08-2016, 09:35 PM
Sarah's blog is good in that it reminds us that we should not be ticking boxes...but nevertheless they are in the back of our minds, even though the LO's are experiencing and achieving a far broader curriculum than the EYFS.
As others have said, it's ok not to have achieved everything in a range, it's about best fit....but I would add that the child needs to be able to achieve an outcome ON THEIR OWN not in a supported situation, observe them playing on their own or with others not in an adult directed activity or a heavily supported situation, lots of times, before you decide they have achieved.