PDA

View Full Version : FUNDING CONSULTATION

sarah707
17-08-2016, 04:59 PM
There is a new early years funding consultation.

It closes on 22nd September so there is still plenty of time to respond - https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/early-years-funding-changes-to-funding-for-3-and-4-year-olds

DfE introduce it here - https://www.gov.uk/government/news/fairer-early-years-funding-plan-launched - They say they are committed to ensuring funding is fair...

This is an interesting summary of some of the main points - 7 things to know about the consultation on early years funding (http://www.familyandchildcaretrust.org/7-things-know-about-consultation-early-years-funding)

For all those who have moaned and groaned about the level of funding they get from their Local Authority... they're asking for our opinions... make sure you respond!! :D

Kiddleywinks
11-09-2016, 07:57 AM
Aaaargh! Thought I'd posted a couple of days ago to this but obviously didn't press the submit button :panic:

I went to an LA briefing session and got the impression that this has been kept very quiet as they were in a mad panic about it....

I also got the impression that the base rate (for all providers) would be reduced to fund the 'add ons' that were on offer:
Rurality/Sparsity - top up for provisions in these areas
Flexibility - for providers to offer more flexible childcare (earlier/longer hours)
Efficiency - Encourage exploitation of efficiences identified in the cost of childcare review (??)
Delivery the additional 15hrs - an incentive for providers to offer 30 hrs for 3 & 4 yr olds

So, if you don't live in a rural area (I don't) and or aren't able to extend your working hours (I'm 7am - 6pm as it is!), or aren't able to exploit the efficiency criteria (haven't quite figured out the efficiency one beyond accepting it will mean more paperwork ;)) then providers will only be entitled to a reduced government base rate with one top up for the additional 15 hours

Can anyone tell me if I've got this wrong?
What are your thoughts?

loocyloo
11-09-2016, 08:16 AM
Thanks ... I think I responded a few weeks ago, but maybe not.

I definitely responded to a funding consultation!

I wrote that if funding fell to below my hourly rate, then I would not be able to offer funded sessions. AND regardless of whatever else they said or did, that was the bottom line. I only work with a few children and can not afford to be paid my usual fees.

I am in a rural area, but can't really extend my hours due to family commitments and I'm not picking up the 'slack' from other settings who can't offer flexibility either. I do sometimes think that the powers that be forget that childminders are people with families too!

sarah707
11-09-2016, 04:09 PM
I found it was worded very badly and I really struggled with the replies ... I did tell them that when I replied!

I agree if the funding isn't right it won't be sustainable for a lot of people including a lot of the nurseries who are currently campaigning.

I do hope they get it right but I'm not holding out much hope after trying to answer the consultation :panic:

SYLVIA
11-09-2016, 04:27 PM
I am finding that more and more parents are expecting to use the funding for preschool and not pay me to keep spaces available during that time. I also can see a new problem arising here. All 3 of my mindees will go to the same preschool but the preschool now have 3 different pick up times; 12, 1.00 and 3.30. I can't do the late one as I go to a different school but not sure whether to say only a 12 pick up. I'll still have the same problem of payment whilst at preschool. The whole funded issue is a wider problem than just money

loocyloo
11-09-2016, 04:40 PM
well, I've answered it again!

they do word things to give the answer they wish to hear! I hope they read all the comments though, as my comment didn't always 'quite' match what they were asking, but I was making sure I got my point across!