PDA

View Full Version : pre-registration advice in Nottingham area?

Hollyhock
13-08-2016, 02:37 PM
Hello,

I am waiting for Ofsted to call and make an appointment for the pre-registration visit. I still can't say I'm on top of things though, and I am sure it would help immensely to bounce off ideas with another to-be-childminder. Is there anyone in the Nottingham area who is currently getting ready for the visit, or has perhaps recently had one? I shall also try make the most of this lovely forum, but still it would be great to share this challenge with someone (and a coffee)!
I am thinking especially about how to demonstrate to the inspector my intention to support the children's learning and developement along the lines of the EYFS...

sbash7
13-08-2016, 06:10 PM
Hi holly,
I'm in exactly the same position, but am in Sheffield... I'm likewise not quite sure if the best way to prepare, probably because I've not had a proper sit down and think... Somewhere I found the pre-reg handbook that Ofsted used to use, and in it are various questions Ofsted will ask (or at least they did a few years ago) I'm planning on writing down some answers to those things to gather my thoughts as I reckon they'll still ask similar things. I'll try and find it and link it to you
Sarah xx

sarah707
14-08-2016, 07:41 AM
The inspector will want to make sure you know the Eyfs - know how you are going to manage your business - know safeguarding - know about the learning and development requirements.

Pre-reg is quite tough nowadays because they won't normally be back for up to 30 months which is quite a long time...

Ofsted should point you to a list of pre-reg questions in this handbook - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/540262/EY_and_childcare_reg_handbook.pdf

I hope that helps :D

mathremuk
14-08-2016, 08:05 AM
Hiya,

Im in Derby and had mine a couple of months ago. My inspector actually sent me a piece of A4 with all the things we were going to talk about. It was really helpful. I dont want to upload it on here in case I get into trouble lol (in case they are watching me) but if you could PM me your email address I could forward it onto you. It may not be the same as your visit but it might help!

Hollyhock
17-08-2016, 05:21 PM
[QUOTE=sbash7;1425227]Hi holly,
I'm in exactly the same position, but am in Sheffield... I'm likewise not quite sure if the best way to prepare, probably because I've not had a proper sit down and think... Somewhere I found the pre-reg handbook that Ofsted used to use, and in it are various questions Ofsted will ask (or at least they did a few years ago) I'm planning on writing down some answers to those things to gather my thoughts as I reckon they'll still ask similar things. I'll try and find it and link it to you
Sarah xx[/QUOTE

Hi Sarah,

thank you - I have the pre-reg booklet, but not completed it. I tend to overthink things and usually find it so much easier to arrive at a satisfying answer when talking about it to someone who is dealing with the same task. I would appreaciate if you let me know how you are doing with the pre-registration booklet, and perhaps we can help each other by means of this forum even? In any case, all the best to you!

Hollyhock
17-08-2016, 05:23 PM
Hiya,

Im in Derby and had mine a couple of months ago. My inspector actually sent me a piece of A4 with all the things we were going to talk about. It was really helpful. I dont want to upload it on here in case I get into trouble lol (in case they are watching me) but if you could PM me your email address I could forward it onto you. It may not be the same as your visit but it might help!

That is neat! Or was it the pre-registration booklet? Please forgive my ignorance, but what does PM stand for...? I'd be happy to get my email address to you somehow.
Thank you!

Hollyhock
17-08-2016, 05:26 PM
The inspector will want to make sure you know the Eyfs - know how you are going to manage your business - know safeguarding - know about the learning and development requirements.

Pre-reg is quite tough nowadays because they won't normally be back for up to 30 months which is quite a long time...

Ofsted should point you to a list of pre-reg questions in this handbook - https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/540262/EY_and_childcare_reg_handbook.pdf

I hope that helps :D

It does, thank you - I didn't know that managing my business would also be a topic! In fact, I haven't focussed on that much at all yet. I found heaps of material online, business-toolkits etc. on the local council website, but found it to be rather an overload for someone as inexperienced as myself with regards to business. Did you actually write a business plan?
I know Sarah Graven has summed up some basics about how to run a childminding business, and shall look into it again.
Thanks!

mathremuk
19-08-2016, 03:29 PM
PM - Private message.

Its not the pre reg booklet. It just an A4 sheet with a list of topics.