PDA

View Full Version : Providing food -and milk?

mumofone
07-08-2016, 03:38 PM
I have a baby who's mum provides food each day but baby is about to go into regular full fat milk. Is it ok that I ask for the milk to be provided or is this something I should really provide? Thanks!

moggy
07-08-2016, 04:33 PM
You can claim money back for 1/3 pint milk a day Nursery Milk (http://www.nurserymilk.co.uk/)

Milk and dairy foods - Live Well - NHS Choices (http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/milk-dairy-foods.aspx)
I guess the child is 12mths old? Link above advises 300ml full-fat milk a day to meet calcium requirements. I would be offering water for the regular drink, not milk.
So, about half a pint of milk a day (most of which is covered by the nursery milk payment scheme) I'd be happy to supply.
What are your concerns about supplying cows milk?

blue bear
07-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Up the you if you want mum to supply. I generally supply but have had mums who prefer to supply everything as they feel they are doing everything they can for their little one .

chris goodyear
07-08-2016, 06:14 PM
I always say that when babies eat our food I will supply everything (more fool me I sometimes think but it can be a USP) but some like to still bring everything. One lo I've had since he was 7 months and will now be starting school in September Mum has supplied it all (her choice) even down to slices of bread! sometimes it's easier when they are a bit older then they all can eat the same and no arguments therefore I used to feel sorry for this little boy as if I was giving everyone e.g. pasta and he had his usual sandwich I felt really mean when he had to watch them. It's really your choice and in some respects it is easier if they all bring their own especially in the holidays if you have schoolies as well. Bit of contradiction there but holidays and term time are so different in many ways.

loocyloo
07-08-2016, 07:00 PM
I always say that when babies eat our food I will supply everything (more fool me I sometimes think but it can be a USP) but some like to still bring everything. One lo I've had since he was 7 months and will now be starting school in September Mum has supplied it all (her choice) even down to slices of bread! sometimes it's easier when they are a bit older then they all can eat the same and no arguments therefore I used to feel sorry for this little boy as if I was giving everyone e.g. pasta and he had his usual sandwich I felt really mean when he had to watch them. It's really your choice and in some respects it is easier if they all bring their own especially in the holidays if you have schoolies as well. Bit of contradiction there but holidays and term time are so different in many ways.

Once babies are eating 'normal' food (albeit a touch mashed) then i provide everything too.

My mums all like it and i find it easier ☺ when everyone has the same.

sarah707
07-08-2016, 07:05 PM
We claim back 1/3 pint from Nursery Milk (http://www.nurserymilk.co.uk/) and provide the rest :D

mumofone
07-08-2016, 07:14 PM
Ok so this mum provides the food though for her LO and plans to continue to do so, so I thought it made sense for her to bring their own milk too but is this unfair if me?

mumofone
07-08-2016, 07:16 PM
I can't be bothered to claim back for milk to be honest, it's not enough and we get through more than I can claim for (sorry this sounds a bit blunt reading it back!!!) X

moggy
07-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Ok so this mum provides the food though for her LO and plans to continue to do so, so I thought it made sense for her to bring their own milk too but is this unfair if me?

Yes, from 12mths the milk is just a drink, and will become less in quantity and importance as time goes on. So, I would give a cup of milk like I would a cup of water. If the child is drinking big quantities I would look at why and discussing with parents.
But it is your setting and your rules so go with what you want. Personally, I find it easier to give a cup of milk from the bottle in my fridge rather than receiving and chilling and returning a bottle or container every day from a family... but that is for you to decide. I provide all food and drink so maybe that is why it makes sense to me to provide milk.

Dragonfly
08-08-2016, 12:39 PM
I provide milk and don't claim for it. I don't limit milk as it is good for them. They always have choice of milk or water what ever there age.

I don't think I could ever ask for milk to be sent unless it's formula.

JCrakers
08-08-2016, 01:25 PM
Personally, if its cows milk then I would provide it. For me it's worth claiming back as if I have 3 little ones per day and they all have 1/3 of a pint then that's 1pt per day. Over the month it mounts up.

If it was formula or lactose free etc then I would get mum to provide :thumbsup:

Also, don't quote me but I think that all children under 5 are entitled to free milk so as a parent I might be expecting it free?

k1rstie
08-08-2016, 09:34 PM
Don't forget it can only be claimed once per day, so if your little one goes to nursery, they will be claimed for there.

FloraDora
09-08-2016, 01:36 PM

It depends what is in your policy/ contract. Most people provide drinks through out the day and the recommended drinks for under 5's is water and milk. The government provide reimbursement for the milk to encourage this. ( which is really easy to claim and helps towards any training costs I have to fund.)

I would be researching what others do in your area as if you are the only one that doesn't provide milk to drink you may not be the first one parents go to when looking for a childminder.

Mouse
09-08-2016, 03:26 PM
I'm a bit OCD when it comes to milk and I can't stand it if it isn't completely fresh. If I'm providing the milk I know it's fresh. I don't think I could serve milk that someone else had provided in case it wasn't up to my standards!!

It doesn't make sense at all, but it's how I am :o

bunyip
12-08-2016, 06:44 AM
I can't be bothered to claim back for milk to be honest, it's not enough and we get through more than I can claim for (sorry this sounds a bit blunt reading it back!!!) X

I used to tell myself exactly the same, but it's quite a simple claim system, even for an old technophobe like me. It only seems a small monthly amount but it adds up to £100-£200 annually. I realised how silly it was of me to complain about Ofated and ICO charging £35 whilst I turned down free money that would cover that and more besides.

I don't accept food from home and certainly would not accept milk. We are responsible for [B]all[B] food and drinks served, irrespective of where they come from. As far as our EHO is concerned, mum would be just another "supplier" like any other. Can you absolutely guarantee she will respect use-by dates and never break the chill-chain? You never know how food has been handled in someone else's kitchen.

Crazy as it sounds, she could give her own child food poisoning and you could be held responsible. It 's your business that would be suspended, not mum's.