PDA

View Full Version : Male Child Minder Middesbrough Opinions please !!!

Gareth Davies
02-08-2016, 09:34 PM
Hi I am Gareth from Middlesbrough and am thinking of doing childminding I was a nursery nurse for over 13yrs I left my job as having problems with my 15yr old I started driving and realise I miss working with Children. I am a bit worried though about getting the children and other things about starting new self employment. Any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Rick
03-08-2016, 02:39 PM
Hi as a coincidence, an admin of this forum is also a male childminder.....me!

Childminding is the best thing I've ever done. I used to be stuck behind a desk all day, now I am my own boss, out and about and helping children develop. I love the freedom but of course self employment can be difficult, especially with regards to no sick pay, no holiday pay (unless you set up a contract with the parents that includes it) etc.

The process to become registered can be lengthy and of course filling spaces can take a while, not to mention setting up costs. I feel I have been lucky with regard to filling my spaces. Not one single family who have come to visit have questioned why I do it, a lot of them see me out and about at groups and in the community and can see I do a good job. Now I have looked after a few children, I have a few reviews on childcare.co.uk that further help convince parents that I can do a good job.