PDA

View Full Version : Using scissors

mumofone
02-08-2016, 07:36 AM
What age can we give scissors to little ones and what age should they be able to use them? Thanks

moggy
02-08-2016, 07:50 AM
There is no 'can' or 'should'. All depends on the child, the level of supervision and the type of scissors and what they are cutting.
I have know just-2 yr olds use scissors well and 6 yr olds who still struggle!
There are lots of types of scissors that spring open and make it easier- just search online.
I find the plastic-bladed 'kids scissors' useless (except for cutting playdough- that is a good activity in itself)- I'd rather use 'proper' scissors with them (small size, metal blades) and supervise 1:1. They usually start using 2 hands on the scissors and making little snips.
Always good to teach not to walk around carrying scissors right from the start, and model how to pass/hold scissors safely.

FloraDora
02-08-2016, 07:57 AM
Using scissors is part of developing finer motor skills - I build up to it by playing with big tweezers and serving themselves with tongs, then move through the various types of scissor. This article is a good guide for progression, emphasising the importance of other complimentary activities to do alongside.

https://www.childandyouthservices.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/19406/Scissor-skills.pdf

I think it all depends on the child as to when they are incorporating scissors, snipping to start with into their development. Often if there are older role models younger children want to start doing the same activities....as a generalisation from 2 is a good guide, but it really does depend on the child's finer motor skill development, need and interest.
Here is another interesting article around this development, initially talking about why you introduce the use of scissors:

http://www.gandetherapies.com/PDF%20Files/TheImportanceofTeachingYourChildHowToUseScissors.p df

fluff1975
02-08-2016, 08:38 AM
I'm not sure you can put an age on scissor use as some children have excellent control from a very young age and others take much longer. Personally once an interest is shown in using them I let the children have a go. I always use good quality metal ones, I currently have some super little ones from Tesco.

In my experience plastic ones are rubbish and just lead to frustration, so for me supervision is essential. I always have a few pairs of these training scissors handy Arts & Crafts | Scissors | 314307 (http://www.ypo.co.uk/product/detail/314307) They're really easy to use.

I also find that cutting thicker paper, card or foam sheets is better for little ones as they don't have to contend with flappy bits of paper. Ripping is another great activity if you're not sure about little ones with scissors.

Mouse
02-08-2016, 08:50 AM
I have 2 year olds who can use scissors and a 4.5 year old who can't.

I don't have a set age when I try them with scissors, it's just something that happens. We've often got scissors out so if the younger ones show an interest I let them try. Some don't have the co-ordination or strength, so I'll leave it a while and let them try again another time. Even if they're not actually cutting, I show them scissor safety - how to hold them, always shut them up when not using them, don't walk around with them, put them back in the pot when not using them etc.

Maza
02-08-2016, 08:51 AM
I think I usually do it around two years old.

It is not only important for children to learn how to use scissors, but also how to hold them when they are not in use. I first gave my DD some good quality playdough scissors to cut playdough 'worms' with. I was so glad that I gave her these first because she was waving them all around as she was chatting - not in a naughty way, just in an unaware way. I was explicit with her about the rules and said that she couldn't have real scissors until she stopped this.

At first, you won't expect the children to take the scissors away from the craft table, but when you do, show them how to do I safely - scissors pointing down and not being swung around.

It's vital that you know if you have any left handers too. Don't expect much at first - lots of snipping.

My sure start centre sells arts and craft stuff really cheaply and I got lots of great scissors from there.